- Количество слайдов: 46
Welcome to the unit
Hi, everyone! I know all of you like to watch TV. But besides getting the latest news, enjoying some TV plays, what is the most frequent thing appearing on TV every day?
Sedal Shampoo Everything is possible!
Shoes can fly! So do your dreams!
Enjoy your music, Enjoy your Sony!
Brainstorming: 1 Where can we find these ads? On billboards, on the Internet, in newspapers/ Magazines, on TV , in leaflets, or in buses etc. 2 Why do you like these ads? They are quite interesting, creative and we can get some useful information from them.
Discuss and speak: Read the instructions and focus on the six posters. Try to answer these questions: What image(s) can you see on each poster? What can you read on each poster? What can you learn from each poster?
Read and describe the following advertisements and decide which are PSAs (公益服务广告) and which are CAs (商业广告).
1. Project Hope 1. --How do you feel when you see the child in the big eye? 2. ---What would you like to do for the child after seeing this ad? 3. ----What do you think the purpose of Project Hope is ?
1. This picture is intended to make people aware of the importance of Project Hope. 2. It makes people realize that there are still a lot of children dropping out of school for economic reasons. It calls upon people to do sth. to help children in poor areas. The picture makes us aware of the needs of other people.
The purpose of Project Hope : It aims to help young people who have dropped out of school return to school. It aims to develop basic education in poor areas in child, especially in western china, with money collected from society. Nowadays it pays special attention to children of laid-off workers in cities.
1. --- What do you know from this ad? 2. --- If you intended to buy some cheap learning software, would this advertisement help you? 2. Computer Software
Poster 2 This poster is intended to sell his product to the persons who want to study on the computer. With the persuasive words ”special discount” and images to attack People’s attention, people would buy some cheap learning software. Sometimes this will help you. But sometimes don’t. In our actual life. , if you want to study, I think you can learn something well without learning software. On the contrary, if you have learning software, you are not sure to learn something well.
---- What does the advertisement try to sell a product or service? 3. Oxlin Airlines
Poster 3 This poster is a commercial advertisement. It offer the airline service. It uses “I live to fly with Oxlin Airlines. Taking airlines is a fast way to get to another place. In this way can much of time be saved.
4. Earth Day 1 ----Why does this ad. Use the image of a bird’s nest? 2 ----Do you think this advertisement helps to make people aware of environmental problems? 3 ----What do you think Earth Day is all about ?
Poster 4 This poster strikes us a lot. It is trying to show us that the birds have nowhere else to build their nets. They have to build their nets in the sky because all the trees have been cut down. It sends us a serious warning and tells us that we should protect the environment from now on.
• Earth Day aims to increase environmental awareness and encourage people to take care of the Earth and its people. The first Earth Day was celebrated on 21 March, 1970. The reason why it fell on that day is that night and day are equal throughout the Earth on that day. Today Earth Day is celebrated annually by almost every country throughout the world.
5. Anti-Drugs 1. ------Do you think drugs are harmful? 2. ------If someone takes drugs, what could happen to him or her? 3. ------Does the ad teach you about the bad effects of taking drugs? What are they?
Poster 5 Taking drug is harmful both to the people who take drug and their family. If someone takes drugs, he will become seriously ill. This poster is intended to educate people about health and problems in society and calls on people to make an anti-drugs campaign and it also tell us not to ignore the problem around us.
1. ----what kind of people do you think this ad is targeting? Why? 2. ------Do you think this ad will successfully persuade people to buy this shampoo? 6. Shine Shampoo
Poster 6 This poster is targeting young people especially girls, because they pay more attention to their appearance. It uses persuasive words “Shine that lasts fro days” successfully to persuade young people to buy this shampoo.
Table Filling: commercial ads public service ads 2. Computer 1. Project Hope Software 3. Oxlin Airlines 4. Earth Day 6. Shine Shampoo 5. Anti-drugs
What makes a good advertisement? . . . moving beautiful interesting meaningful good ads humorous funny creative exciting instructive persuasive attractive informative imaginative
A “well-known” advertisement in China Slogan: 今年过节不收礼, 收礼还收脑白金! ★
Sprite (雪碧） Obey your thirst． 服从你的渴望。 Nike（耐克） Just do it. 只管去做。
1. The taste is great（雀巢咖啡)味道好极了。 2. Good to the last drop. （麦斯威尔咖啡） 滴滴香浓，意犹未尽。 3. Impossible made possible. （佳能打印机） 使不可能变为可能。 4. Ask for more. （百事流行鞋） 渴望无限。 5. Feel the new space. （三星电子） 感受新境界。 6. The choice of a new generation. （百事可乐 新一代的选择。 7. Communication unlimited. （摩托罗拉） 沟通无极限
1. Which advertisements make you want to buy a product or service? Why? 2. Which advertisements make you think about problems in society or about people who need help? Why? 3. Do you think advertisements tell the complete truth? Why or why not?
1. We can see there are three ads that promote learning software, an airline service and a shampoo here. They make me want to buy a product or service. In my opinion, the advertisement for the shampoo is the most persuasive not only because of the image on the shampoo bottle, but also because it says that this shampoo will keep my hair shiny for days. Although I don’t believe that this ad tells the complete truth, I want to try it
2, In my eye, the other three ads for Project Hope, Earth Day and an antidrugs campaign make me think about problems in society or about people who need help. People’s health, the environment and poor children’s lives are common social concerns. Nobody can ignore the problems around us. In addition, the persuasive words and the impressive images used in these ads strike me a lot. Of the three
ads, the ad about Earth Day strikes me the most. The ad shows us a bird’s nest built in the sky. The poster is trying to show that there is nowhere else to put the bird’s nest because all the trees have been cut down. It sends us a serious warning and tells us that we should protect the environment from now on.
3. No. As we all know, commercial advertisements, generally speaking, are intended to encourage people to buy a product or service so that companies can make more money. Thus they try their best to make people believe they are telling the truth, sometimes by tricking us. For example, ads which sell cosmetics often use famous pop stars who tell us how effective the product is and how it keeps him or her young and
good-looking. It is up to us, the consumers, to decide whether to believe commercial advertisements or not. However, public service advertisements are intended to educate people about health, problems in society and public welfare. Public service advertisements are usually free and they are usually true.
Advantages & disadvantages of ads. Advantages 1. Provide information about latest products. 2. Increase sales by repeated advertising. 3. Cut costs of newspapers and make them cheaper. 4. Make the public aware of social Disadvantages 1. Mislead customers or cheat them of money. 2. Give false or incorrect information 3. Take too much time or space on TV or newspapers. 4. Make teenagers want things that cost much.
Language focus. 1. advertise ---advertising advertiser advertisement v 登广告：在公告，如报纸上询问或寻找： advertise for an apartment. 登广告寻求公 寓房 2. make sb. aware of / Be aware of v What the teacher said made me aware of the importance of English. v The little child is not aware that he is faced with danger. v You are not aware how worried I felt about your safety.
3. danger v C/n Waste must be treated so that it v does not become a danger to life. v That man is a danger to society. v C/n A soldier’s life is full of danger in war. v In danger (of ) …. / out of danger v The man is in danger because the tiger besides him is dangerous.
v 4. similar be ~ to v Similarity v There are some similarities and differences between American English and Britain English. v Your views on education are ~ to mine.
may have done v He may have missed his train. v They may not have finished the work by now. v 5.
v 1. 这家旅馆提供练好的服务。 2. 我们该登个广告聘人来照看我们 的孩子。 v 3. 我们不知道他在等谁。 v 4. 现代有许多动物有灭绝的危险。 v 5. Jack在外貌上和他的兄弟非常 相似。 v 6. 一些人还没有意识到抽烟的危险 性。 v
Brainstorming • Suppose you are an ads-designer, how will you design your advertisement?
1. Collect some advertisements and try to know what products or services the ads talk about. 2. Get ready for the Reading part.