- Количество слайдов: 27
Senigallia in Italy Milano Venezia Senigallia Firenze Roma Napoli Palermo
How to get so Senigallia • BY CAR: Motorway A 14 - exit Senigallia • BY RAILWAY: The lines Bologna/Bari and Rome/Ancona connect Senigallia to all the main Italian and European cities. • BY PLANE: Just twenty minutes by car from Ancona airport “delle Marche” with daily flights to Rome, Milan, Munich, Paris, London and other important Italian and European cities. • BY BOAT: Daily ferry services from Ancona port to Greece and Croatia. • PUBBLIC BUS SERVICE: An hourly bus service runs between Senigallia and Ancona, the Regional capital, and an efficient public transport network connects Senigallia town centre and railway station with the other town districts and the main neighbouring villages (Marzocca, Cesano, etc. ) During the Summer season (from mid June to the whole of August) the local town council offers tourists a free “bus card”, this can be used on services connecting the East and West beaches to the town centre. • TAXI: A 24 hour taxi service is available from the railway station. • BICYCLE: For holiday makers in Senigallia we do recommend getting around by bicycle. In the last few years we have increased the number of cycle paths linking the town districts with the seafront area. Many hotels offer guests bicycle services. In addition, since Summer 2007 the town council has launched a new “bike sharing” scheme, 80 bicycles (soon to become several hundred) available to tourists free of charge, to use during their stay in Senigallia.
Senigallia was founded between 289 and 283 b. C. by the Senonian of the Gallic tribe who had settled in the north of the Marche in the valley of the river Esino, in the province of Ancona. Since 1853 Senigallia has been one of the most popular seaside resorts on the Adriatic Coast with its thirteen kilometres of golden sands, the famous Velvet Beach. Thanks to the quality of the services it provides and the clean and safe bathing, the town has been awarded the prestigious Blue Flag of the Foundation for Environmental Education in Europe. But the sea is not the only reason for choosing Senigallia.
Tourist port At the entrance to the port, Gianni Guerra’s “Penelope“, welcomes sailors on their return. It has been enlarged recently and there about 300 moorings for fishing boats and yachts.
Rocca Roveresca The Della Rovere Castle, designed by the military architect Baccio Pontelli, is the most ancient monument in Senigallia. It was commissioned by Giovanni Della Rovere and built in 1480 between the town and the sea on the remains of a Roman tower and a smaller castle dating from 1355. Erected by order of Cardinal Albornoz, the elegance of this latter structure can still be admired today, including the marble door and window cornices and the wonderful spiral staircase. Some of the halls in the castle now house various exhibitions
The Palazzo Ducale, opposite the castle, was built by Guibaldo Della Rovere, Duke of Urbino, in the second half of the XVI century. The ducal coat of arms can be seen on the ceiling of the first floor, the decoration of which is attributed to Taddeo Zuccari, a famous painter from the Marche. Numerous changes have been made to the original façade which now has a beautiful portal in white stone. The fountain of the Palazzo Ducale was commissioned by Francesco Maria Della Rovere to mark the completion of the first aqueduct of the modern era. It was carried out by the Venetian, Stefano di Tommaso, and inaugurated in 1602. The fountain, in Veronese pink marble, is decorated with four ducks in bronze.
Palazzetto Baviera Palace Baviera is a late medieval construction. The courtyard with its motifs and proportions similar to those of a cloister, creates an atmosphere of peace and meditation. In the middle of the courtyard there is a well with the Baviera coat of arms on four sides. The cloister-like structure creates complex variations of light and shade. Different architectural styles, from Romanesque to the Medieval and the first and second Renaissance periods, are in evidence in the Palazzo Baviera. On the first-floor visitors can admire the five ceilings decorated with heroes, gods, allegories and ancient battles by Federico Brandani
Foro Annonario Piazza del Duca leads into the nearby square where the Foro Annonario is to be found. It is a large construction in Neoclassical style surrounded by a portico with thirty Doric columns in brick, twenty-four of which make up the two surrounding semicircles with the other six in the centre. On the upper floor of the Foro Annonario are the rooms newly assigned to the “Antonelliana” Municipal Library. The Neoclassical building was carried out between 1830 and 1831 by the Senigallia architect Pietro Ghinelli. Over the years, the complex has retained its original function of fruit, vegetable and fish market in the “choreographic” setting under the porticoes stretching out along the banks of the River Misa.
Portici Ercolani These 126 arches resting on square pillars seem to follow the gentle curve of the River Misa before it flows out into the sea. They were built by Cardinal Ercolani with blocks of white Istrian stone, in a period when trade in Senigallia was booming. They were intended to replace the old town walls with shops destined to house the merchants at the “Maddalena Fair”. Along the two banks of the town canal the trading of grains, wood, spices and crafted articles was carried on. In the years of its greatest splendour the fair attracted as many as 500 ships and 50 thousand foreigners from Eastern countries, northern and central Italy as well as central Europe. Carlo Goldoni , a famous Italian playwriter, set one of his musical comedies called “La Fiera di Sinigallia” in the town.
Chiesa della Croce The church was designed by ducal architect Muzio Oddi for the Confraternity of the Sacrament and the Cross, and it was consacrated in 1608. The exterior is distinguished by the simple features of the late Renaissance, creating a sharp contrast with the lavish Baroque interior, with six side altars that frame the church’s true treasure: the altarpiece painted by Federico Barocci in 1582. It potrays the “Entombement of Christ”, against a backdrop with an evanescent image of the Ducal Palace of Urbino, the painter’s homage to his birthplace. The seventeenth-century “Crucifixion” by Claudio Ridofi, the coffered wood ceiling and the organ built by Pietro Callido in 1775 are also noteworthy.
Town Hall The Town Hall was built between 1611 and 1613 on one side of Piazza Roma, the social focus of the town and also site of the Neptune Fountain, commonly called the “armless man in the square”. The bearded god with a crown encircling his mass of wavy hair, his forehead lined with thought as he looks down towards the left, evidently showing the sirens the way to go in the vastness of the sea with his missing arm. The other arm, also missing, was probably holding a trident to his side. It is said that the Turks deliberately committed the outrage of breaking off his arms and trident, as well as the end of his nose and the points of his crown.
Teatro La Fenice The theatre “La Fenice” rises on Roman ruins. The theatre’s history begins in the middle of the eighteenth-century, when the city’s old aristocracy wanted a “local theatre”: this will shortly after acquire a national and international importance for its shows and for the thousands of foreigners who come to visit. The theatre was restored at the beginning of the nineteenthcentury by architect Pietro Ghinelli, but it was heavily damaged by the earthquake in 1930.
Archaeological Area “La Fenice” While the foundations of the new theatre “La Fenice” were being laid in 1989, some important Roman relics were discovered. The paving is well preserved; you can see what remains of an ample “domus”. During the excavation 130 medieval human fossils were uncovered.
Museo d’Arte Moderna e dell’Informazione It was established by the Town Council in 1981: it is one of the most valuable centers for contemporary art, engravings and photograpy. The museum has a permanent exhibition on display by Mario Giacomelli photographed farmlands around Senigallia, Italy, creating surreal hillsides with radical perspective and exposure techniques. Concentrating on the marks made by machines, he sometimes rented tractors to create or enhance pattern or shape. He made aerial photographs to intensify the verticality of the space, and also etched trees, mounds, or hoes into his negatives. In 1960, he was commissioned by the Catholic Church to document the lives of young priests, in seminaries, whom he often photographed during their leisure activities. His earth sculpting and the marking of his negatives associate him with Frederick Sommer, Henry Holmes Smith, Christo, and Robert Smithson.
Palazzo Mastai and Museo Pio IX The Mastai Palace was built in the early 17 th century, today it houses precious relics of Pope Pius IX who was born here on May 13 th, 1792.
Pinacoteca diocesana La Pinacoteca diocesana houses valuable paintings from 1500 to 1800. The most precious jewel is the collection La Madonna del Rosario e San Domenico by Federico Barocci (1535 -1612). Its beautiful halls show wonderful paintings by local artists.
Porta Lambertina and Porta Mazzini The Lambertina gate was built in the 18 th century with beautiful stone from Istria and it is dedicated to Pope Benedict XVI. The Mazzini gate was set up in the second half of the 18 th century, when the town was enlarged.
La Rotonda The Rotonda has been the symbol of Senigallia as a resort since 1933, the year of its opening. During the summer season it was the elegant meeting place for elite visitors. In July 2006 it was restored to all its original glory, with the addition of an original piece of great contemporary art work by Enzo Cucchi, decorating the entrance to the pier.
Convento and Chiesa di Santa Marie delle Grazie They are located 2 kilometers from the city. The church holds the altarpiece by Perugino, the master of Raphael, representing "The Virgin on the Throne and the Saints. "
Frasassi Caves The Frasassi Caves are a remarkable karstic cave system in the municipality of Genga, in the province of Ancona. They are among the most famous show caves in Italy. The caves, discovered by a group of Ancona speleologists in 1948, are situated 50 km from Senigallia. Rich in water, the cave system is particularly well endowed with stalactites and stalagmites.
Parco del Conero Monte Conero is in the heart of the Regional Park. Established in 1987, it’s a nature sanctuary extending for 5, 800 hectares of protected area. The area houses species of birds, some of them very rare, together with a rich fauna. The many plants making the Mediterranean maquis are here protected and represent the third part of the whole floristic heritage of the Marche.
Pergola – I Bronzi Dorati The "Bronzi Dorati da Cartoceto di Pergola" is the only group of gilded bronzes in the world dating from Ancient Roman times still in existence. They represent two female figures, cloaked and veiled, and two horsemen in high-ranking military garb with richly ornamented horses. The sculptures are forged using indirect lost wax in a lead-rich, copper alloy and gilded in gold leaf. They bear precious witness to the policy common from the late Republican period of using monumental images to underline Roman power. Our gilded bronzes of Pergola were exhibited at the Museum of Beaux Arts in Montreal.
Local products Senigallia's other great pride is the number of good restaurants where you can eat the best of the Adriatic catch. Senigallia, a seaside resort, traces its gourmet heritage to the daily catch from the Adriatic sea: anchovies, sardines, mackerel, red mullet, octopus, cuttlefish, sole, shrimp, grey mullet, clams and mussels. Two traditional seafood dishes are always available on the Senigallia menu, “grigliata “(grilled fish) and “Fritto misto dell’Adriatico” (Adriatic mixed fry up). The grilled fish is presented strictly “sa la mollica”, the local dialect for seasoned breadcrumbs with garlic and fresh parsley.
A delicious though nowadays quite rare dish, is the local fish soup “Brodetto senigalliese”. Both the grilled and fried fish dishes should be accompanied by white wines from the local hills: Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi and Bianchello del Metauro. Try also the tasty country cuisine. Amongst the traditional farmhouse dishes, discover a real summer surprise, roast goose, and for Christmas dinner “salsiccia matta” (mad sausage).
In Senigallia it is also possible to savour a very tasty roast pork, “porchetta”, slowly cooked in a wood oven and seasoned with wild fennel. With your roast pork a good glass of “Lacrima di Morro d’Alba” is highly recommended, a red wine from the local hills, while for other roast meats the recommended wine is “Rosso Conero”, a quality Montepulciano with a hint of saltiness from the Adriatic. Another typical local delicacy is called “Pizza con il formaggio”, a special kind of bread with cheese, which, in the past, was prepared around Easter time. It deliciously combines sheep’s cheese, “pecorino”: the mature cheese is grated and then added to fresh chunks and mixed in the dough.
Summer Jamboree in the rockin town of Senigallia (Italy) It is the most important international festival of music and American culture in the '40 s and 50 s in Europe