Science in our life.ppt
- Количество слайдов: 13
• Science is discovery. Science is fun. Science is understanding what makes a clock tick and what makes a cat purr, what makes the Sun rise and what makes the Moon look so large on the horizon… Rita Colwell
• The Poetry of Reality (video)
The Poetry of Reality Science is the best tool ever devised For understanding how the world works. Science is a very human form of knowledge We are always at the brink of the known. Science is a collaborative enterprise Spanning the generations. We remember those who prepared the way Seeing for them also. If you’re scientifically literate, The world looks very different to you And that understanding empowers you. There’s real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. We can do science, And with it, we can improve our lives. The story of humans is the story of ideas That shine light into dark corners. Scientists love mysteries, They love not knowing. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing things. I think it’s much more interesting. There’s a larger universal reality of which we are all a part. The further we probe into the universe, The more remarkable are the discoveries we make. The quest for the truth, in and of itself, Is a story that’s filled with insights. From our lonely point in the cosmos, We have through the power of thought Been able to peer back to a brief moment After the beginning of the universe. I think that science changes the way your mind works, To think a little more deeply about things. Science replaces private prejudice With publicly verifiable evidence.
• Alexander Bell invented telephone. to invent an invention to discover a discovery • Christopher Columbus discovered America.
• to engage (to participate, to involve) – to be engaged He can engage an audience. He was engaged as a tutor. • to involve (cause to participate, to include yourself or someone else in doing something) – to be involved Don’t involve me in your silly plans. Try not to be involved in his silly plans.
• to investigate (to carry out research or study into a subject or problem) – an investigation We tried to investigate this case. He is carrying out an important investigation. • a phenomenon (a fact or a situation that is observed to exist or happen) – phenomena It’s quite an interesting phenomenon. These phenomena are quite interesting.
Grammar Practice • George Stevenson constructed ______ the steam engine. • The steam engine was constructed ___________ by George Stevenson. to construct
• The first step to the Moon was made ___________ by Neil Armstrong. to make made • Neil Armstrong _____ the first step to the Moon,
made • Wilbur Wright ____ the first flight in an aeroplane. to make • The first flight in an aeroplane was made ________ by Wilbur Wright.
was discovered • DNA _________ by Friedrich Meischer. to discover • Friedrich Meischer discovered ______ DNA.
Inventions OR Discoveries
Inventions that changed our world (video)
How to make a summary • Your Know-How • Read the text. • Find out its main idea. • Support the main idea with some important facts from the text. • NB! Don’t go into details.