- Количество слайдов: 40
REPORT OF TURKISH STATE METEOROLOGICAL SERVİCE (TSMS) Hayreddin BACANLI Turkish State Meteorological Service Head of Research and Data Processing Department e-mail: [email protected] gov. tr
Content 1. Introduction 2. Observation Network 3. Product and Services 4. Public Services 5. Research and Project 6. External Relations 7. Future Plan
1. Introduction: Turkish State Meteorological Service (TSMS): Was established on 19 February 1937.
Main responsibilities of TSMS: § Establish and operate weather observing stations for synoptic, climatological, aviation and research purposes; § Prepare and issue weather forecast reports for short medium and long range; § Provide meteorological data and services to public and military; § Support and carry out research activities; § Coordinate and improve the international relations and activities.
Administration Scheme of TSMS: Director General 3 Deputy Director General Weather Forecasting Department Agricultural Meteorology and Climatological Observation Department Research And Data Processing Department Strategic Development Department 23 Regional Offices Administrative And Finance Department Personnel Department
International Relations of TSMS: WMO ECOMET EUMETSAT EUROCONTROL ECMWF ALADIN We have good corporation with them. Also we made some workshop and project on 2010.
Training & Capacity Building: More than 370 participants have been trained in WMO RTC in Alanya Facilities on Climate Indices, Regional Climate Models (PRECIS, Reg. CM 3), AWOS, Telecommunications, Agricultural Meteorology, etc
2. Observation Network: § To be able to observe the weather and to give the best meteorological services to the users, TSMS has to operate almost 600 stations of several types and purposes; § Climatologic stations (350 / 350 automated); § Upper-air (radiosonde) (8); § Synoptic stations (110 / 110 automated); § Airport stations (60 / 43 automated); § Doppler weather RADARs (4).
It is also planned to install additional 200 AWOS stations by 2010 to complete the modernization program of surface observation network. Thus, TSMS will have a fully automated surface observation network as follows by 2010: § Climatologic stations – 556 (all automated); § Synoptic stations – 125 (all automated); § Airport stations – 60 (all automated).
Upper Air Observing Network: 8 stations making 2 observations per day at each station at 00: 00 UTC and 12: 00 UTC.
Surface Observing Network (Airport Stations): Among 60 stations, 43 with AWOSs
Surface Observing Network (Climatological Stations): 350 AWOS stations,
Surface Observation Network (Synoptic Stations): 110 AWOS stations
Automatic Meteorological Observation Stations:
Meteorological RADARs: In addition to four Doppler RADARs in Ankara, Istanbul, Balikesir and Zonguldak, TSMS is implementing 6 new radars between 2009 and 2012 in following radar sites: § § § Antalya (dual polarization); İzmir (dual polarization); Muğla (dual polarization); Adana/Hatay (dual polarization); Samsun; Trabzon.
RADAR Network Coverage:
Calibration Center of TSMS works in accordance with TS EN ISO/IEC standards and has been accredited since April, 2010 in the fields of: §Temperature; §Relative humidity; §Pressure; §Wind speed. CERTIFICATE OF ACCREDITATION .
3. Products & Services Weather Forecast Basic Forecasts Short-Range Forecasts : - Three updates every day (Morning, noon, evening) - Daily forecasts of precipitation, temperature and weather condition
Weather Forecast Basic Forecasts Medium-Range Forecasts (Up to 5 days) : - Updated every day - Daily forecasts of precipitation, max&min temperatures and weather condition of 81 cities for 5 days.
Weather Forecast Very Short-Range Forecasts and Warnings: Forecasts for severe weather; Heavy precipitation, thunderstorm, tornado, flood risk; Published on WWW, radio, and sent to cell-phones as SMS; Precautions managed by the cooperation with Disaster Coordination Centers and local authorities.
Weather Forecast Marine Forecasts: - Daily Reports; wind speed and direction, gale expectation, weather condition, visibility and sea wave; - 3 Days Reports: Maps showing sea forecasts for 3 days.
Weather Forecast Numerical Weather Prediction High Performance Super Computer using on May 2010 Model: ALTIX 4700 § Number of CPUs: 512 § CPU Speed: 1. 6 Ghz § RAM: 1 TB §Disk Capacity: 20 TB Running Models: § MM 5 § METU 3 § ALADIN All set of the products are accessible on dmi. gov. tr
4. Public Services: Meteorological Data Archiving System: Turkey Meteorological-Data Archiving System - TUMAS § TUMAS has been designed to meet the increasing demand of storing and presenting of meteorological data (observations, radar, satellite, NWP, etc. ); § Archiving of data is in a digital format, be secured and there will be back-up; § Accesible for internal and external users under security conditions; § Meteorological data demands are remote controlled; § On-line presentation and selling of data as a good example of e-government.
Internet: www. dmi. gov. tr TSMS WEB site dmi. gov. tr is very popular among the country, reaching 2. 500. 000 visits per day on 2010. It has a limited content in English and German. • Special award of jury in a private web-site competition. • Update frequency: 10 minutes. • Offers a rich content. • Internet connection speed: 100 Mbytes with the “Metro Ethernet” connection that is used in only a few public establishments.
MMS and E-mail Services: Meteorological Warnings To prevent and mitigate the human and property losses in severe weather events, Early Warnings are prepared and sent to Public via GSM Operators (MMS) and e-mail.
FM Radio: Voice of Meteorolojinin Our Radio Channel (“Meteor FM”) broadcasts in 27 different cities and reaching almost 40 million people country-wide. Our broadcast is accessible all over the world via Turksat 1 -C satellite. Radio station will take new technological building and of the 2010.
5. Research & Developments: Research Topics RESEARCH ACTIVITIES - Working Topics §Climate change and Variety; §Air Pollution and Acid Rains; §Natural Disasters, Drought and Desertification; §Ozon/UV-B Observing and Research; §Forest Fires; §Renewable Energy Sources; §Agriculture Meteorology.
Black Sea and Middle East Flash Flood Guidance System: Turkey became a Flash Flood Guidance System (FFGS ) regional center on 29 -31 March 2010. FFGS is supported by WMO, HRC, NOAA and USAID. Aim of FFGS is to make flash flood warning for all participating countries Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Lebanon, Syria and Iraq. Bulgaria and Romania are observers and would become members in the future.
Flood Forecasting and Warning Feasibility Study: USTDA (United State Trade and Development Agency) has agreed to provide 507. 420; 00 USD grant to TSMS on Semptember 2010 Feasibility study will cover , inter alia, hydro-meteorological stations requirements, hydrological modelings, communication, IT requirements, capacity building, economical analysis, and for the implementation real time flood forecasting and warning.
Wind Energy Forecasting System - RETS The existing numerical weather prediction models at TSMS have been operating with a 4 km grid-based resolution. Wind Energy Forecasting System (RETS) has been using the MM 5 Regional Model Outputs. The 48 -hour forecasts for the Wind Speed (m / s), Wind Power (W/m 2) and the Energy Production (k. Wh) for a selected turbines at various heights (1 MW -65 m, 2 MW-80 m and 3 MW-90 m) have been producing since July 2010.
Modeling Solar Energy Potential in Turkey In order to see Solar Energy Potential of Turkey, a modeling study has been carried out by TSMS and published in 2010 In Turkey there are 157 stations which have radiation data for the 1971 -2000 climatic period. According to observation data, high radiation values observed around Niğde and Van. For a better interpolation, these values have been modeled by using secondary parameters (latitude, cloudiness, RH%) by using GWR tool under Arc. GIS Geostatistical analyzes.
The DREAM-8 model dust transport model has been established at TSMS in cooperation with Barcelona Computer Centre of Spain under the EU TAIEX Small Grants Program. The operational forecasts by DREAM-8 will be start at June 2010. Estimates are published at the website of our General Directorate. Mardin-Dargeçit
Plant Hardiness and Heat Zone Maps • according to the heat and cold stress threshold values of the plants one can easily choose the appropriate plant for their land Plant Heat Zone Map • Users can access to both spatial and station based information • These maps will be used by the end of 2010 Plant Hardiness Zone Map
6. External Relations Activities: § ALADIN consortium, of which TSMS became a member in 2009, 14 th general assembly hosted by TSMS was gathered on 12 -13 November 2009. § Initial Meeting of Black Sea and Middle East Flash Flood Guidance System, which was supported by World Meteorological Organization (WMO), National Oceanographic and atmospheric administration (NOAA), USA Hydrologic Research Center (HRC) and USAID, hosted by Turkish State Meteorological Service held in Istanbul on 29 -31 March 2010. Country representatives of Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, Syria, Iraq and Lebanon participated in the meeting. TSMS became a regional center unanimously.
§ Ministerial meeting on the Cooperation of Environment and Meteorology of Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Jordon was held in Ankara on 28 -29 April 2010. “Ankara Ministerial Declaration” was issued after the meeting for the improvement of cooperation. § USA Trade and Development Agency has approved to give 507. 420, 00 USD Grant to Turkish State Meteorological Service for “Flood Forecasting and Early Warning System” feasibility study on 30 April 2010. Grant agreement was signed on the date of 03. 09. 2010.
§ 15 th session of WMO Climatological Commission (CCI) gathered in Belek, Antalya on 19 -24 February 2010. Environment and Forest Minister Prof. Dr. Veysel EROĞLU, Director General of Turkish Meteorological Service Mr. Mehmet ÇAĞLAR, Secretary General of WMO Mr. Michel JARRAUD and head of 14 th climatology commission Mr. Pierre BESSEMOULIN were participated in the meeting. 250 scientists from 79 countries participated in 15 th Climatological Commission of WMO, with 189 members, which gathers every four year. § The TSMS under auspices of the Ministry of Environment and Forestry organized the first International Meteorological Symposium themed “Meteorology for Sustainable Development and Life" on 27 -28 May 2010.
§"Training Workshop on Flood Risk Assessment, " will be held from September 27 th October 2010 in Istanbul Regional Training center. This workshop is part of the South East Europe Disaster Risk Reduction Programme funded by the European Commission DG Enlargement, and will be organised in partnership with UNDP and WMO. §In additions, in 2009 84 participants from 50 countries and in 2010 58 participants from 41 countries attended training courses given at the WMO regional training centers.
INTERNATIONAL CLIMATE CONFERENCE CARRIED OUT IN ANTALYA Conference was started by the speeches of Minister of Environment and Forest Prof. Dr. Veysel EROĞLU, Director General of Turkish Meteorological Service Mr. Mehmet ÇAĞLAR, Secretary General of WMO Mr. Michel JARRAUD and head of 14 th CCl Mr. Pierre BESSEMOULIN. 38
7. Future Plans: Main Objectives; § Sustainable success rate; § Modernization of the observation systems; § Development of Prediction and Early Warning Systems; § Improvement of the informatics infrastructure.
On behalf of my Service, thank you for your attention. . .