- Количество слайдов: 41
Prague City of a Hundred Spires
The Capital of the Czech Republic
• the largest city of the Czech Republic. Its official name is Hlavní město Praha, meaning Prague - the Capital City • situated on the River Vltava in central Bohemia
• has been the political, cultural, and economic centre of the Czech state for over 1100 years • the city is home to more than 1. 2 million people, while its metropolitan area is estimated to have a population of over 1. 9 million
• one of the most beautiful cities in Europe • nicknames for Prague have included: • "the mother of cities" ("Praha matka měst" in Czech)", • "city of a hundred spires" and • "the golden city“
• Prague has been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites
HISTORY • According to a legend, Prague was founded by the Princess Libuše and her husband, Přemysl, founder of the dynasty with the same name. • In the 9 th century – Prince Bořivoj founded a castle on a hill above the Vltava valley
• King Vladislav II had a first bridge on the Vltava built in 1170, the Judith Bridge • The Charles Bridge was later built on its foundations • In 1257, under King Otakar II, Malá Strana ("Lesser Quarter") was founded in Prague in the future Hradčany area
Charles IV. • The city flourished during the 14 th century reign of Charles IV • He ordered the building of the New Town • Monuments by Charles include the Saint Vitus Cathedral and Charles University (1348) • Established an Archbishopric (1344)
• 15 th century – a centre of the Hussite movement • In 1621 – 27 noblemen were executed in the Old Town Square • 16 th century – Prague regained its • The end of 18 th cosmopolitan century – NAtional character during the Revival reign of Rudolph II • 1918 – the capital of Czechoslovakia
Prague Castle is the most popular sight visited in Prague. It is the largest ancient castle in the world (570 m long, on average 128 m wide). Constructed in the 9 th century by Prince Bořivoj
The castle has three courtyards and it has always been the seat of Czech rulers as well as the official residence. St Vitus Cathedral
The cathedral's foundation stone was laid in 1344 by Emperor Charles IV. The first architect was Matthias of Arras, after his death Petr Parler took over and completed much of the structure in late-Gothic style. Over the following centuries renaissance and baroque details were added - the job was completed in 1929.
The Royal Crypt contains the remains of Charles IV, Wenceslas IV, George of Poděbrady and Rudolf II. Parler's Chapel of St Wenceslas, houses the crown jewels and the tomb of “Good King” Wenceslas.
Picture Gallery of Prague Castle, created in 1965, houses paintings from the 16 th – 18 th centuries. The Spanish Hall – serves for ceremonial purposes Rudolph Gallery Vladislav Hall – the election of the President
• Golden Lane • Named after the goldsmiths who lived here in the 17 th century • popular with its tiny colourful houses built right into the arches of the Castle walls • In the 18 th and 19 th centuries they were occupied by squatters • later it was the home of the writer France Kafka (house 22) and Jaroslav Seifert • Most of them are souvenir shops.
Prague Old Town • The centre of the Old Town has always been the Old Town Square • it is dominated by the Church of Our Lady of Týn and the Town Hall • The Old Town Square has been the scene of great events, both glorious and tragic
Old Town Hall
• the most popular part of the tower is the astronomical clock (horologe) • originally instaled in 1410, the clock was rebuilt by the Master Hanuš in 1490. • it consists of three parts – the procession of Apostles, the astronomical clock and the calendar. • the main attraction is the hourly procession of the 12 Apostles. The height of the tower is 69 m and it offers a great view of the city.
Prague Lesser Town • poetic quarter with picturesque streets, stylish taverns, ancient houses, palaces, romantic gardens • St. Nicholas Church - it is the dominant of the Lesser Town Square and one of central Europe's finest baroque buildings begun by Kristof Dientzenhofer
• Nerudova Street • Named after the poet and journalist Jan Neruda, who lived at No 47 in the House of Two Suns • picturesque narrow street that leads up to Prague Castle as a part of Royal Route
Lesser Town Square • Started as a market place it has always been the centre of life in the Lesser Town • Today, there are official buildings and restaurants
• • • designed by Petr Parler it was completed in 1400 it connects the Lesser Town with the Old Town now pedestrianised there are thirty statues on the bridge, many of them have been replaced with copies. • there are marvellous views of the Vltava river Valley, the Žofín, Střelecký Island, the Old Town and the Lesser Town.
• Originally a horse market, it got its present name in the mid-19 th century • Wenceslas Square is the main centre of modern Prague surrounded by shops, cinemas, office blocks, hotels, restaurants and cafés • 750 m long and 60 m wide square has been the scene of a great deal of Czech history.
• There are changing exhibitions as well as permanent collections devoted to archaeology, anthropology, mineralogy, natural history and numismatics.
Quiz • Can you recognize these places?