- Количество слайдов: 10
Political leadership Lecture 4
1. Leadership. 2. Character Functions of political leadership. 3. Classification of political leaders.
1. Leadership. Functions of political leader. Leadership is a kind of power. Leadership is a social status. Leadership is the ability to influence. Leadership is entrepreneurship. Leadership is a symbol of community of interests.
Political leadership is a constant legitimate influence of one (or several) person who takes authoritative positions over the society, organization or group. Political leader – head, administrator or authoritative member of the group, organization or the society on the whole which coordinates, joins and directs the actions of the people.
Functions of political leader 1. Join people; 2. Defense 3. Initiate their interests; the changes for better; 4. Organize the activity of people.
2. Character of political leadership Leaders Formal - is nominated officially; - has a certain set of duties and rights; - formal control/formal sanctions; - has a juridical responsibility for the state of affairs; Informal - appears spontaneously; - can allow himself not to have any duties and rights; - non-formal control/non-formal sanctions; - not responsible in front of the law for the situation in the society;
1. Personality-trait theory – explains leadership through the distinguished features of the person. 2. Situational approach – the qualities are relative. For each political leader – exact circumstances (time, place, situation). 3. Theory of constituents – ‘the retinue makes the king’. 4. Psychological concept – basis for leadership is suppressed libido.
3. Classification of political leadership. I. Social character of leadership. 1. Traditional; 2. Rational – legal; 3. Charismatic. II. Attitude to the social changes 1. Conservative; 2. Reformer; 3. Dogmatist; 4. Fundamentalist.
III. Styles of leadership 1. Standard-bearer – has personal vision, inspired with dreams, ideals that can carry masses along; 2. Leader-servant – is oriented on the common point of view and expresses the interests of his followers. 3. Leader-dealer/tradesman – can make his ideas and vision attractive, followers find his ideas attractive and “buy” them; 4. Leader-fireman – is oriented on the most up-to-date, “burning” problems. His actions are determined by concrete situation.
Watch the film and characterize the mentioned leaders according to the last classification. Standard-bearer Leader-fireman Leader-servant leader-dealer/tradesman