- Количество слайдов: 37
PEL 101 - COMMUNICATION SKILLS-I LECTURE-7 WEEK-4 DESIGNED BY SATPAL SINGH, 15908 & ANUDEEP KAUR BEDI, 13654
Commonly Confused Words Homonyms: A word that is spelled the same, sound the same but means different things. Examples: Ø Bank (1. river bank 2. bank account) Usage - I went to open my bank account in the branch of State Bank of India near the bank of river Ganges. Ø Fine (1. to pay a monetary penalty 2. superior quality or skill) Usage- 1. You will have to pay fine for your absence. 2. This is a fine shot to win the match. Ø Proof (1. an evidence, 2. printed copy for rectification) Usage- 1. The detective got a proof of culprit’s identity.
Ø Light (1. sunlight, 2. light as a feather) Usage- 1. The light was filtered through a soft glass window. 2. Magnesium is a light metal--having a specific gravity of 1. 74 at 20 degrees C“ Ø Tip (1. pencil tip, 2. a gratuity) Usage- 1. The pencil tip is broken. 2. He gave Rs. 50 as a tip to the waiter. Ø Present (1. a gift, 2. current time) Usage- 1. I got a present on my birthday. 2. The present century is about speed
Ø Tire 1. Car wheel (American usage), 2. fatigue Usage- 1. The rear tires of the car are damaged. 2. This exercise is very tiring. Ø Saw 1. cutting tool 2. to see Usage- 1. The woodcutter bought a power saw. 2. I saw him in the fair yesterday. Ø Fair (1. a village fair, 2. quite good) Usage- 1. The child was lost in village fair. 2. He is fair in his actions.
Pick the odd one out 1. Bullet a) metal shot from gun b) a bullet point c) A motorcycle brand d) Killing a person 2. Post a) Letters and parcels b) a job in a company c) a vertical pole d) To inspect vehicles 3. Faculty a) a group of departments b) ability to do c) people who teach in a department d) head of business or trade
Focus on red colored word, is it best fitting? 4. This question is beyond my horizon. (Y/N) 5. He was mentally absent but physically present. (Y/N) 6. They crop the snaps in their mobile phones and upload. (Y/N) 7. He went to site seeing in Shimla. (Y/N) 8. The roof has a very stoop pitch. (Y/N) 9. The toilet bowl was cracked. (Y/N)
Answers 1. D 8. Y 2. D 9. Y 3. C 4. Y 5. Y 6. Y 7. N
Homophones Homophone : A word that is spelled differently, sound the same, and mean different things. Examples Ø To - too- two Usage -I went too far to get two cones of ice-cream. Ø Hair - hare- here Usage - The white haired hare was running here and there.
Homophones EXAMPLES THERE : THEIR : THEY’RE Ø There : a place Usage - It is over there. There are two bikes. Ø Their : Possessive form of they Usage - Their bikes are black. Ø They’re : means they are (shortened form) Usage -They’re going home on their bikes.
Some more examples of the Homophones Ø Cent : She has only one cent. Ø Sent : He sent the letter yesterday. Ø Scent: The scent of rose was beautiful. Ø Hole : They dug a hole in the ground. Ø Whole : I can’t believe I ate the whole thing. Ø Assent: They assent to go further. (agree) Ø Ascent: There is steep ascent ahead. (rise)
Pick the correct homophones 1. Her little sister was just (to/too/two) slow on a bike. 2. We had lunch over at (they’re/their/there) house. 3. (There/their/they’re) grandmother lived over 4. The new jet streaked (threw/through) the clouds.
5. Painter painted the (hole/whole) room in just five hours but dentist could not fill up the (hole/whole). 6. If you had any sense of (cents/scents), you would come to know that it costs more (cents/scents). 7. All of them (ascent/assent) to climb up the mountain tomorrow. 8. Please speak loudly or come (here/hear).
Answers 1. too 2. their 3. Their, there 4. Through 5. whole, hole 6. scent, cents 7. assent 8. here
Commonly confused homophone Examples Ø Affect (to influence or to Ø its (possessive form of change) it) Ø Effect (result) Usage- 1. Changing the way you eat will affect your health. 2. I can’t see what effect these new laws will have on me. Ø it’s (contraction of it is or it has) Usage- 1. Its mine. 2. It’s nothing to do with it.
Ø Than (a comparison) Ø Accept (a verb, to Ø Then (refers to a time receive or to admit ) in the past) Ø Except (usually a preposition, means but or only) Ø Usage- 1. My insurance will Usage- 1. He is younger accept the charges for the than him. accident. 2. He went there 2. I like all then he learnt about vegetables, except for the accident. brinjals
Homophones: Usage in sentences Ø Ensure: He wants to . Ø Grate: I need to grate ensure he will pass. Ø insure: She will insure her new car. some cheese to put on the pizza. Ø Great: If it has enough cheese, it will be a great pizza!
Ø Altar: sacred platform or place Ø Alter: to change Usage- Elicit answers from students Ø Allusion: indirect reference Ø Illusion: false idea, misleading appearance Usage- Elicit answers from students
Match the Homophones Bazaar whether Lessen Place Lose mail Weather bizarre Male stationary Peace lesson Passed loose Stationery piece Plays past
Answers Bazaar bizarre Lessen lesson Lose loose Weather whether Male mail Peace piece Passed past Stationery stationary Plays place
Examples Ø Altogether: thoroughly Ø all together: everyone/everything in one place Usage- Elicit answers from students Ø Angel: supernatural being, good person Ø Angle: shape made by joining 2 straight lines Usage- Elicit answers from students
Examples Ø Stationary: static Ø Stationery: things needed for writing Usage- Elicit answers from students Ø Advice: recommendation (noun) Ø Advise: to recommend (verb) Usage- Elicit answers from students
Pick the incorrect pair of homophones 1. Assistance: help : : Assistants: helpers 2. Are: plural form of “to be“ : : Our plural form of "my“ 3. bare: nude : : bear: to carry 4. beside: close to; next : : besides: in addition 5. canvas: survey : : canvass : heavy cloth 6. complement: something that completes : : compliment : praise, flattery
Answer Option No. 5 is incorrect 5. canvas: survey : : canvass : heavy cloth Correct Answer 5. canvas: heavy cloth : : canvass : survey
RECAP TERM MEANING SOUND SPELLINGS HOMONYMS DIFFERENT SAME HOMOPHONES DIFFERENT SAME DIFFERENT
EXERCISE Which of the following pair is not a homophone? a) Hear …. hair b) wait ……weight c)bazaar ………. bizarre d) pale …. . pail
Answer • A) Hear and hair are not rhyming sounds • Like hare and hair • Here and hear
Choose the correct one: 1. Jenny has a juicy …………. . for lunch. a) Pair b) Pear c) pare 2. The computers are on …………. for half price. a) Sale b) sail 3. The gum cost one ………… a) Sent b) cent c) scent 4. Mrs. Gerrell is the ……………of our school. a) Principle b) Principal
5. The dog chased the …………. in the field. a) Hair b) heir c) hare 6. The boat has a white ………. . a) Sale b) sail 7. Pick the correct pair of homophones a) Mist……missed b)cents …. . sense c) heir …. . air d) All are correct 8. The high school _______ wanted to know who the _______ investigator was on the grant. a) Principle …. Principal b) Principal ……Principle c) Principle …. . Principle d) Principal …Principal
9. _____ were four independent corrections to the data to bring it in line with______ previous results. a)Their …. there b) there …. . there c) their …. their d) there …. . their 10. It was the bottom of the 9 th inning, when the pitcher _______ his best pitch of the night. a) Through b) threw
Answers 1. b 8. b 2. a 9. d 3. b 10. b 4. b 5. c 6. b 7. d
Some more … 1. The _____impacts the conclusions of the test. However, the source of noise does not _______the measurement. a) affect …. Effect b) affect …. Affect c) effect …. . affect d) effect ……. . effect 2. We sought ______ from the members of the _______. a) counsel……. council b) council……. counsel c) counsel ……. counsel d) council ……. council
3. We ______ to conduct an independent survey where respondents could ______ the correct answer from a list of ten options. a) choose ……chose b) choose ……choose c) chose ………chose d) chose ……. . choose 4. Do you think it is going to ……………. this afternoon? a) Rein b) Rain c) Reign 5. David’s brother is in a …………. which plays Russian music. a) Band b) banned
6. Juana wants her socks because her ………. . are cold. a) Tows b) toes 7………………. . be here in a few minutes. a) He’ll b) Heel c) Heal 8. I don’t want to talk about the …………. . anymore. a) passed b) past 9. Hadil has a …………. in her shoulder. • Pane b) pain 10. Alec is going to his …………… house today. • Wear b) ware 11. Please try not to …………………. paper. a) Waist b) waste
Answers 1. c 8. b 2. a 9. b 3. d 10. b 4. b 11. b 5. a 6. b 7. a