- Количество слайдов: 17
Our School and Locality By Connor and Izaak
Ysgol Rhys Prichard The school has recently celebrated its centenary. The junior children (7 -11 years) are taught in the old part of the school, but the younger children are in a new building. There almost 200 pupils in the school.
Forestry n n Year 6 have been to the forestry to learn about the wildlife. Here they are measuring trees and reading maps of the forest.
Fun and Games Year 6 also took part in making crafts with wood and playing team building games in the fields of Cwm. Rhaeadr.
The School Garden The Duchess of Cornwall came to visit our school during the centenary year in 2010. Here is the headmaster and some children showing her around the school garden.
Morrisons Vouchers n Our school collected Morrisons vouchers to have trees and seeds. We collected 1250 vouchers, with which we received two apple trees, a pear tree, a cherry tree and a plum tree. We planted the trees in the school field to create an orchard.
Outdoor Fun We also collected Tesco Vouchers, with which we received toys to play with on the yard. We had a Big Caterpillar, an outdoor sized Connect Four and lots of smaller items such as skipping ropes, tennis balls, team walkers and jumbo footballs.
Photography n Some pupils were chosen to go on a photography course and were taken to various places in the local areas. They took photographs for an exhibition. Here a few places they visited. . .
Llanfair Church This is Llanfair Church, one of several churches photographed by our pupils, which is only a short distance from our school. The famous hymn writer, Williams, Pantycelyn is buried here
Llwynywermod This is a photograph taken of the ruined mansion, at Llwynywermod, the Welsh home of our current Prince of Wales (Prince Charles). This property is only around two miles outside our town.
The local area
Dolauhirion Bridge n n n Dolauhirion Bridge dates back to 1773 and is attributed to William Edwards. It is a stone bridge with an 25 m span and 12 m carriageway at the crown. It has been recognised as one of the 12 most beautiful bridges in Wales.
The viaduct n n n The viaduct is made up of 18 arches. It was built between 1867 -68. It stands a hundred feet(30. 5 metres) above the valley floor. The viaduct is situated in Cynghordy. It carries trains on the Heart of Wales railway line.
Llyn Brianne n n The reservoir was constructed by Wimpey Construction in the late 1960’s and the early 1970’s Llyn Brianne was originally built to satisfy the growing demands of heavy industry in and around Swansea for water.
Drovers n n Drovers are people who took cattle from all over Wales to London to be sold in market. The Drovers opened the first bank in Wales here in Llandovery which was called the Black Ox Bank.
The Town Hall n n There have been four town halls built in Llandovery. The first town hall was built in 1485 and the latest one was built in 1857. Around the 1960’s, the ground floor was a fire station, and the upper floor was a court house, which is now used as a library. The ground floor is now used as a Farmers Market.
Llandovery Castle The Normans built the castle in 1116. Shortly after, it was attacked and destroyed by Welsh forces under Gruffydd ap Rhys. The castle remained under Norman control until 1158. Rhys ap Gruffydd the youngest son of Gruffydd ap Rhys, seized the castle from its owner. The castle changed hands in the next several years, finally falling under to the English under Edward 1 st in 1277. It was retrieved by the Welsh under Llywelyn the Last.