- Количество слайдов: 40
MGT 3513: INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT Bryan Rogers Spring 2016 “Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ” George S. Patton Mississippi State University College of Business & Industry
ANNOUNCEMENTS - Review syllabus - Class activity - Intro to HR lecture
Contact Information for Professor Instructor: Bryan Rogers Office: 313 -C Mc. Cool Department Phone: 325 -3928 E-mail: BLR 126@msstate. edu Course Website: http: //misweb. cbi. msstate. edu Office Hours: Feel free to contact me via e-mail or phone, or stop by my office anytime.
What you need to know about me… I strive to provide students with a structured learning experience so that it is easier to learn. I strive to do what is right and be fair. I will probably talk about my dogs…a lot.
My advice Buy the book if you haven’t already. Show up on time. Be prepared (do your homework-I will call on you). Don’t use your cell phone or laptops in my class. Show up for every exam – Make-ups are given during the final exam time
Frequently asked questions (FAQs): 1. What will I learn in MGT 3513? 2. How should I contact Bryan? 3. How do I inform Bryan that I have special needs? 4. Do I need a book for this course? 5. How do I prepare for class? How do I access course Power. Point slides? 6. How do I register for MISWEB? 7. How will I be graded in MGT 3513? 8. How should I study for exams? 9. What happens if I miss an exam? May I take an exam early or a make-up? 10. How is my participation & professionalism grade calculated? 11. What happens if I miss class, am late, or leave class early? What is excused? 12. What is your policy on academic honesty?
How do I inform Dr. Marler that I have special needs? If you have special needs due to a physical, emotional, sensory, learning, or other disability, contact the office of Student Support Services in Room 01 Montgomery Hall (325 -3335) so that I can make an effort to accommodate your needs.
BUY THE BOOK!!! You will need it for almost every single class!!!
HOW TO FIND THE COURSE WEBSITE & ACCESS SLIDES
Select correct class AND section
5) How should I prepare for class? Sample Questions 1. 2. 3. What is a line employee? What is a staff employee? Which is more specific – a human resources strategy or a human resource tactic? Question mark indicates you need to look up the answer in your book; I will call on you during class so be prepared!!!
Just a thought: Print slides in Notes View 1. Write your answers below slide in one color 2. Take notes during class in another color
6) How will I be graded in MGT 3513? My goal = fairness Grades are based on your individual performance rather than effort, personality, potential, or need. No student’s final grade will be increased for any reason other than calculation error. Please do not ask for extra credit or a higher grade at the end of the semester.
7) How will I be graded in MGT 3513? Course Activities 4 Exams (100 points each) Class participation Total points = 400 = 20 = 420 Be on time if you would like to take your exam!
7) How will I be graded in MGT 3513? Grade Determination Scale 378 to 420= A 336 to 377= B 294 to 335 = C 252 to 293 = D 0 to 251 = F
Check out study suggestions
9) What happens if I miss an exam? May I take an exam early or a make-up? 10) FINAL EXAM! No exams will be given early or late; any MAKE-UP exams will be given during the scheduled FINAL EXAM.
11) How is my participation & professionalism grade calculated? You will be given 20 points at the beginning of the semester Participation will be evaluated each time the class meets. Class participation & professionalism= registering for MISWEB + syllabus quiz + giving correct answers to assigned discussion questions on slides + participating in class activities.
11) How is my participation grade calculated? Each time you miss an activity, participation question, or homework assignment, 1 point will be deducted from your grade. Participation grades will be updated on MISWEB periodically (after each exam).
11) How is my participation grade calculated? Missing one class period may result in losing several participation points. Each student will receive 1 “free pass” for a participation activity. The free pass will not be reflected in your grade until the END of the semester.
12) What happens if I miss class, am late or leave early? What is considered an excused absence? LATE = ABSENT Plan ahead for…traffic, lack of parking, bad weather, and other reasons that are not on the University’s list of approved reasons to miss class.
12) What happens if I miss class, am late or leave early? What is considered an excused absence? If you have more than 5 unexcused absences, you will forfeit any bonus credit opportunities. If you have an excused absence, please complete the absence form at the end of the syllabus.
13) What is your policy on academic honesty (aka…what if I get caught cheating)? Potential consequences: XF, suspension, expulsion
Best Boss / Worst Boss Activity
INTRODUCTION: What is Human Resource Management?
Fundamentals 1. What is management? 1. What is human resource management?
What is management? ____________________
Types of Managers Top Managers Examples: _________________ Middle Managers Examples: _________________ First-Line Managers Examples: _________________
What is Human Resource Management? The design of formal systems in an organization to ensure the effective and efficient use of human talent to accomplish organizational goals. http: //www. hrm. msstate. edu/
Major functions (systems) of HRM
What are human resources? People who work in an organization Human Resources = personnel, associates, employees, team members 3 Types of personnel Managers Line employees Staff employees
Key HRM Responsibilities Development, implementation, and maintenance of HR systems Examples of HR systems Internal consulting Coaching and counseling
HRM decisions influence… Business Bottom line Examples of costs Absenteeism Turnover Lawsuits Employees Individual standard of living Compensation Career development
Why is turnover expensive? ? ? Turnover is ________________ Bad hiring = waste of time & $$$ Specific costs associated with turnover _____________________
Jobs in HRM HR generalist HR specialist HR consultant
Opportunities to get involved with HR MSU student chapter of SHRM Sign up to be on the e-mail list if you are interested! Society for Human Resource Management http: //www. shrm. org/ Golden Triangle Human Resource Association
REMINDERS Purchase textbook Register for MISWEB – select the correct section Access MISWEB (go to online grades) Complete syllabus quiz Print out slides for next class meeting Bring slides (and answers!) to our next class Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!