- Количество слайдов: 22
Language points 1. It’s said that today more than $400 billion a year is spent on advertising worldwide. 2. is More than $400 million said to be spent _________ on advertising worldwide a year.
Para. A beyond doubt 1. With so many proofs, he is, _______, the criminal the police are after. (无疑地) beyond expression 2. 2. My gratitude to you is ________. (难以表达) 3. 3. What he said beyond me. understand 4. == I can’t _____ what he said. 5. 4. The road is beyond the hill. beside
2. …the economic impact of advertising touches just about every consumer-product industry, from cars to chocolate. They have more than a dozen checkouts and are one-stop shops since you can buy almost everything there: food, clothes, medicine, etc. e. g. She seemed to have everything — looks, money, intelligence. all things Money isn’t everything. the most important thing everything Have you got his name and address and everything? and so on
c. f. There’s never anything worth watching on TV. We hope to prevent anything unpleasant from happening. something的否定 anything I’m so hungry, I’ll eat _____. (无论什么) _____ The hotel was anything but cheap. not at all
Para. A touched No one but was deeply moved by that film. touch the exhibits 2. Visitors are not allowed not to __________. ( 触摸展品) the slightest touch • This plant can detect even ___________. ( 最轻的碰触) • She finished the painting by giving the last touch of the dragon’s eyes. 画龙点睛 • 保持联系 Keep in touch with
Para. A improve the economy Drive vt. the driving force drive sb. mad 1) economy, economics, economical, economics He is an expert in ______ economy _____ class 经济仓 economic We give up the house because of the _____ consideration. 经济上的 economic ______ reform ______ depression economic a ______ housewife economical 节约的, 节俭的
3. No wonder, advertising is often considered one of the wonder incentives that drive the global economy. It is that = _______ no wonder _______ advertising… No doubt --There’s no doubt that --4. include pk involve, contains including The atlas _______ maps of all types, ____ maps of the cities, of the counties, and so on. include involved Duties ____ in a secretary’s job _____ typing, faxing, schedule making, and so on. involves This lesson ____ a lot of work. included There are 6 people, 3 women ____.
5. first of all Para. B. At the beginning , let me ask you something. First of all, The content of any article needs, as the most important thing , to be relevant to the reader. first of all,
Para. B. 6. identify (1). Passengers were asked to identify their own suitcases before they were put on the plane. make out Many of those arrested refused to identify themselves. say who they are (2). Scientists have identified a link between diet and cancer have found They are trying to identify what is wrong with the present system. discover with (3) Most people identifies education _______ good manners. identify…with…使……等同起来 ID card = identification card
work out (1) We must _____ how we are going to do it. (solve) (2) I can’t work out the meaning of this poem. understand 8. appeal to (1) The design has to _____ all ages and social groups. (attract) (2) The police have appealed to anyone with clues to come to their help. appeal to sb. for sth. 向某人恳求…… for (1) Shanghai is a city with appeal _____ tourists. to (2) The girl's family have made a public appeal ____ the public for help to try and catch her killer.
7. in question (1) On the day being discussed we were in Cardiff. in question (2) The future of public transport is not in question uncertain , in doubt Para. B.
9. take --- into account Para. B. into Coursework is taken _______ account as well as exam results. His book gives a first-hand account of the cruelty of war. description open / create an account for a target area/audience/group --10. target 设定目标 set a target 达到目标 reach, achieve, meet a target 瞄准目标 aim at a target 射中目标 hit a target
be afraid of ---, be afraid to do --is afraid to wake up She ___________her husband, because otherwise he will beat her. (wake up) is afraid of waking up She ____________ her husband, because she wants him to have more sleep. (wake up) illness 病倒 fall _______ = be down with _______ Para. B.
11. desire (1) Your parents don’t have enough money to _____________. 满足你所有的欲望 satisfy all your desires for He has a strong desire _______ (prep. ) power. to return She felt an overwhelming desire ______ (return) home. (2) 我们都渴望健康和幸福. We all desire health and happiness. to live Fewer people desire ______ (live) in the north of the country. desired The medicine did not achieve the _____ (desire) effect.
12. that is, = that is to say, in other words 13. intend vi. vt. I fully intended (= definitely intended) to pay for the intend to do sth. damage. The writer clearly intends his readers to identify with intend sb. to do sth. the main character. for The book is intended _____ beginners. designed for I don’t intend staying long. He intended her no harm. intend vt (= it was not his plan to harm her) We finished later than we had intended ________. It ______ that production will start at the end of the is intended month.
14. We could _________(take advantage of) our make use of of resources. 15. While in everyday life consumers have seen… Although daily reach, reach for The boy stood on tiptoe to reach for the _____ 16. goal book, but failed to _______ the book…. reach expected We have reached our _______ (expect) goal. arrive, attain long-term goals You need to set yourself some __________. (长期目标) and then walk towards them.
17. potential customers a potential source of conflict a potential prime minister First we need to identify actual and potential problems _____________. ( 现实存在的与潜在的问题) 18. think to oneself say to oneself 心中想, 盘算, 自思自忖 自言自语
14. ignored (1) He ____ all the “No Smoking” signs and lit up a cigarette. (paid no attention to) We cannot affordto ignore their advice __________. 忽视他们的建议 (2) She ignored him and carried on with her work. pretended she had not seen him; took no notice of him 20. They will also consideremploying (employ) famous _____ people… Brazilians do not consider a hot hamburger _____ (be) proper beach food. to be
arrival in On their arrival _____ Shanghai they received a warm greet. His arrival _____ this conclusion was the result of at to return much thought. Carry out, carry on, carry through carry out I have no idea how to ______ this plan. They decide to _____ swimming in spite of the cold carry on weather. It’s a difficult job, but she is the person to _____ it through carry ______.
21. highly culture-conscious very 1) highly successful / skilled / intelligent highly competitive / critical / sensitive It is highly unlikely that she’ll be late. 2) at or to a high standard, level or amount: be highly-educated 受过高等教育的 一份高薪的 作 a highly-paid job 3) with admiration or praise: 高度评价某人 对----- 有好印象 speak highly of sb. think highly of --- are highly regarded Her novels __________, (highly regard) other offences to be taken into account.
conscious He wasunconscious and we decided to send him to the _____ hospital. I was very _____ of the fact that I had to make a conscious good impression. conscious Everyone is called on to be fashion-_____. safety-conscious health-conscious In his subconscious mind he blamed himself for _______ the accident.
22. Study the cultural background of the potential customers, or spoil the advertising programme! don’t study --will spoil --= If you _______, you ______. = _______ (conj. ) you study, you will spoil --Unless