- Количество слайдов: 15
Internships without Transportation Tony Korwin Coordinator and Lead Instructor Green Energy and Technology (Gr. EAT) Academy Desert Mirage High School, Thermal, CA Educating for Careers conference, March 2016 © 2016 Tony Korwin, CVUSD
Desert Mirage High School • Desert Mirage is a comprehensive high school of ~1800 students in the unincorporated town of Thermal. We draw students from several other unincorporated, very rural areas in the eastern Coachella Valley, about 50 east of Palm Springs. We are a 99% Hispanic HS and a 100% FRL. Most of the local residents have some tie to the agriculture in the area. Our campus is part of a K-12 mega campus set on 10 acres in the middle of the desert, with only a single public bus line running past. This line takes students almost 1 -1/2 hours to reach the nearest incorporated community of Coachella and considerably longer to get to other points west like College of the Desert and Palm Springs.
• Additionally, few of our students drive or even have private transportation available to them. So while the Academy can organize job shadows where 5 -10 students can be transported by district vehicle to a business location, extended internships are not a possibility. • Add to the problem, that the past two years, I have had several health issues which limits my ability to spend after school hours with students.
• In going to several “green” businesses around the Coachella Valley, students were able to see a variety of job opportunities that were not inherently green in their nature, but are a part of many industries. Managers, photographers, writers, lab workers, public relations, government relations, construction, electrical, etc. • So I decided that perhaps my personal time was best served mentoring students to do a lot of the work I had been doing myself. In return, the students would gain valuable experiences in a variety of areas.
• Interior recycling manager • Exterior recycling manager • Website and social media manager • Media Relations (TV, Radio) • ASB liaison • Administrative liaison • Government liaison • Videographer • Green House manager • Marketing/advertising • PR manager
• Fund raising manager • Donations manager • Campus beautification manager • Shop manager • Safety manager • Non-profit manager • Gr. EAT/Sierra alliance liaison
• Interior recycling manager- • Responsible to manage and expand recycling efforts within Desert Mirage HS, including can, bottle and paper recycling, but also include compost and other recycling efforts • • Exterior recycling manager • Responsible to manage and expand recycling efforts offsite and community based, including tire and electronics recycling, but also include clothes recycling and a community compost pile. • • Website and social media manager • Responsible for upkeep and currency of Gr. EAT academy website and Facebook pages. . Coordinate closely with photographers, media and PR managers to maintain relevancy. • • Photographers (3) • Responsible to be available to take photographs at all DM Green academy functions and activities. To centrally archive photos and be a liaison with yearbook staff to provide photos.
• Media relations (TV, Radio) • Responsible to keep a positive relations with ALL local media, including Television, Radio and online and print newspapers. To work closely with the PR manager to distribute press releases, and other media information to appropriate media sources to promote positive ideas and information about the eastern Coachella Valley. • • ASB liaison • Responsible to coordinate with ASB personnel and members on all DM activities that may involve the Gr. EAT Academy • • Administrative liaison • Responsible to coordinate and communicate with all DM admin staff, including Principals, Asst Principals and secretaries about all Gr. EAT Academy activities that might impact campus. Also, post available dates and coordinate any Gr. EAT academy presentations to school board. • • Government liaison (Perez, Garcia, Ruiz) • Responsible to contact and maintain relations with staff and government representatives on behalf of the Gr. EAT academy, including working with PR manager to ensure that representatives are invited to all Gr. EAT activities.
• Videographer (2) • Responsible to be available to take video record of Gr. EAT activities and to work with PR manager to create a Gr. EAT Academy PR video for recruiting and other uses. • • Green house manager • Responsible for all coordination of efforts of the operation of the Xochitlan greenhouse. To work with all involved to make sure greenhouse and all of its related items (storage, compost, etc) is always safely secured to avoid vandalism and environmental damage. To coordinate needed purchases with teacher. • • Weather station/air quality manager • Responsible for the management of the area weather station and making sure that it is always broadcasting and available online. To work with Sierra club towards installation of an air quality monitor at Desert Mirage HS. • • Marketing/advertising • Responsible to market all aspects of the Gr. EAT academy on and off campus. Work closely with all above liaisons and PR manager for the greater good. Including creating and distributing posters and other promotional materials. Especially important if you have art/graphic art skills.
• PR Manager • Responsible to coordinate ALL public relations activities with all other interns, administration, instructor and other academies. • • Fund raising manager • Responsible to creatively suggest fund raising opportunities for the Great Academy, including but not limited to candy sales, grocery store relationships, restaurant fund raisers, and crowd funding opportunities. • • Donations manager • Responsible to actively communicate with, enlist and engage local businesses to provide donations of materials, money or other resources for the Gr. EATer good of the Academy. • • Campus beautification manager • Responsible to work with ASB, Road Club and administration to work towards a better campus environment, including but not limited to plants, trees, ramadas, park benches and murals.
• Shop Manager • Responsible for general shop organization, storage, safety and OSHA compliance. • Safety manager • Responsible for OSHA specifications and compliance • Non-profit manager • Works with non-profit partners such as Sierra Club, Wilderness Society, and CVEP • Gr. EAT/Sierra alliance manager • Coordinates activities with Sierra club advocacy representative
• of ______________________________ with the Green Energy and Technology Academy. In accepting this position I agree to the following: • • There is no pay for this position. It is strictly for the sake of the experience. • There is no grade for this internship, but can be used on a resume. • Accept responsibility for any district owned equipment and agree to take good care of said equipment and check out and in as needed. • Put in a minimum of 40 hours (average 2 hours a week) between September 1, 2015 and January 15, 2016. • Provide a detailed diary of time spent each week of the above time period. • Attend a once a week organizational meeting with other interns, either at lunch or after school. • Will work with all of the other interns assigned to the Gr. EAT academy. • Will attend a once a week coordination meeting with instructor at a mutually convenient time. • Will coordinate with the instructor of the Gr. EAT academy and agree to let him know if there are problems with completing the above points. • Will receive a signed certificate of successful completion. • • Signed: