- Количество слайдов: 27
How are we affecting the Environment?
1. Air pollution a. Smoke, dust and exhaust fumes will pollute the air b. Smog – a form of air pollution that is created when sunlight reacts with pollutant chemicals produced by burning fuels.
c. Pollutant – any substance that contaminate the environment and causes pollution
2. Acid Rain a. Acid rain is rain or snow with a p. H below 5. 6 (it is acidic) b. Kills plants and can change the p. H of lakes and ponds (which can kill the animals)
c. Happens when carbon dioxide gas mixes with water molecules during the formation of rain drops. d. Pollutants of sulfur and nitrogen oxides will form sulfuric acid and nitric acid
3. Ozone depletion a. Upper ozone layer of atmosphere blocks out harmful radiation (UV radiation) b. Ozone depletion – the thinning of the ozone layer due to air pollutants.
c. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) used in refrigerators, freezer, air conditioners. d. World governments have agreed to stop producing CFCs by 2000? ?
4. Greenhouse effect a. Atmosphere is trapping heat , known as the green house effect b. Greenhouse gases – carbon dioxide. c. By-product of burning fossil fuels
d. Global warming – potential warming of Earth – will disrupt weather patterns e. Melt polar ice caps, flooding, stronger storms
Effects of Global Warming 1. Rainfall could decrease – affect food production and wildlife 2. Melt polar ice caps – flood coastal areas 3. Increase number and severity of storms
5. Land Pollution a. Dumps and landfills – any toxic materials that are put in landfills can pollute the soil and water
b. Hazardous wastes – waste material that is harmful to organisms Examples: pesticides, nuclear waste, chemicals, batteries, paint and household cleaners
6. Water pollution a. Acid rain starts as land pollution and can lead to water pollution
b. Wastewater from factories and sewage treatment plants is released into streams, rivers or sometimes directly into the ocean c. Sometimes its treated to remove some or all of the pollutants
7. Groundwater pollution a. Groundwater is water contained in the soil or trapped in underground pockets formed by nonporous rock. b. Comes from rainfall and runoff that soak down through the soil c. Can be polluted
8. Ocean pollution a. Discharge of raw sewage into coastal waters can encourage the overgrowth of algae and plankton.
b. Poisonous to fish and wildlife c. Oil spills – destroy habitats and life
Exit slip 1. Which of the following is a model for the “greenhouse” effect? a. A soda can, shaken and opened b. A campfire going out when dirt is put on it c. A parked car with the windows up d. A kettle boiling water on the stove 2. How does acid rain form? 3. List how we are polluting the water? 4. What is smog?