- Количество слайдов: 23
Infinitives and –ing verb forms after perception verbs Perception verbs include feel, find, hear, listen to, notice, see and watch. After the direct object of such verbs, we can use either an –ing verb form or a bare infinitive. An –ing verb form means a continuing action. A bare infinitive means a completed action.
Infinitives and –ing verb forms after perception verbs Perception verbs + -ing verb form: I saw the flowerpot falling to the ground below. (=I saw it while it was falling. )
Perception verbs + bare infinitive: I saw the flowerpot fall to the ground below. (=I saw it hit the ground. )
Complete the sentences with the words in the box, changing their form as necessary. shake open play hide eat go 1 As I walked past the music room, I heard someone playing ____ the piano beautifully. 2 The boy was hungry. I watched him _____ a whole eat steak by himself. He left nothing behind. 3 Everyone in the city felt the ground _____ for a shake moment — it was an earthquake. 4 The woman screamed when she noticed a mouse hiding _______ in her cupboard. 5 The thief knew the rich man was home. He saw him _______ the front door and ______ in. open go
要点提示 1. 感官动词 后面既可以接动词 不定式，又可以 接现 在分词 。不定式与现 在分词 在句中做宾 语补 足语 。 2. 不定式做宾语补 足语 表示已经 完成的动 作， 强调动 作全过 程。现 在分词 作宾语补 足语 表 示正在进 行的动 作。 3. I saw a boy climb over the fence. 我看见 一个小男孩翻过 了篱 笆。
4. 动词 不定式做宾语补 足语时 通常不带 to。 5. 若感官动词为 被动语态 ，随后的不定式必须带 to。 如：A boy was seen to climb the fence. 有人看见 小男 孩翻过篱 笆。 6. 如果感官动词宾语 后面的补 足语 表示的被动动 作， 要用being done 的性式：若表示的是已完成的被动动 作，就用过 去分词 done。 I saw a boy being bullied by two tough guys, and telephoned the police at once. 我看见 一个小男孩被两个野蛮家伙欺负 ，便立即打电话 给 警察。 I told the police that I saw the boy bullied by two tough guys. 我告诉 警察我看见 男孩被那两个野蛮家伙欺负 。
Infinitives and –ing verb forms after other verbs. The following verbs can be used before either a to – infinitive or an –ing verb form, resulting in a difference in meaning. stop I stopped looking. (=I no longer looked. ) I stopped to look. (=I stopped what I was doing in order to look. )
Infinitives and –ing verb forms after other verbs. remember When we use an –ing verb form after remember, we are referring to n action that happened in the past. When we use a to –infinitive after remember, we are referring to an action that we should take. I remember going to the party last year. (=I remember that I went to the party last year. ) I remembered to buy snacks for the party. (=We had a party and I had to buy snacks for it. I bought them. )
Infinitives and –ing verb forms after other verbs. forget When we use an –ing verb form after forget, we are referring to an action that happened in the past. When we use to –infinitive after forget, we are referring to something we should have done, but unintentionally failed to do.
I will never forget going to the party last year. (=I will never forget that I went to the party last year. ) I forgot to buy snacks for the party. (=We had a party and I had to buy snacks for it, but I forgot and did not do it. )
Infinitives and –ing verb forms after other verbs. regret I regret not helping him. (I did not help him. I regret that. ) I regret to say it is not always easy to do the right thing. (=I have some bad news: It is not always easy to do the right thing. ) mean It means correcting the error. (=It involves correcting the error. ) I meant to correct the error. (=I intended to correct the error. )
1. 有些动词 ，如stop, remember, forget, regret, mean等， 后面既可以接动词 不定式，又可以接动 名词 。但是 含义 截然不同。 stop doing something 停止正在做的事 stop to do something 停下来去做另一件事 remember doing something 记 得做过 某事 remember to do something记 得要去做某事注意： remember 后接动词 不定式用于过 去时 ，常含有因不重 视 或漫不经 心而忘记 做某事之意。如： I remembered to go to the post office, but it was closed by time I arrived. 我记 得要去邮 局的，但是我到达的时 候 邮 局已经 关门了。
forget doing something 忘记 了做过 的事forget to do something 忘记 要做某事 regret doing something 后悔做了某事regret to do something 遗 憾地（通知，说 ，告诉 ）某事 mean doing something 意味着 mean to do something 想要做某事 注意： had meant to do 意为 “本来想要做 … … ，但未完成”。 如： I had meant to visit you last Saturday, but I was told to attend a meeting. 我本打算上周六去看你的，但被告知要去开会。
Complete each sentence with the word in brackets. Change the form of the words or use to as necessary. 1 Marge: Did you remember ______ (get) the bread to get while you were shopping? Don: Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot _______ (buy) it. to buy 2 Bill regretted ____ (play) basketball night playing instead of studying for his exam. 3 On the way home from school, the children stopped ____ (buy) sweets. to buy 4 A high position brings many benefits, but it also means ____ (have) much responsibility. having
5 I regret _____ (inform) you that your application to inform to our university has been rejected. 6 After the police came, the three tough guys stopped _____ (bully) the boy. bullying taking 7 Some elderly people often forget _______ (take) their medicine, and so take it again. 8 After moving away, the girl meant ____ (write) to to write her parents, but never found the time.
3. An infinitive (with to) can be used as an adverbial to express a purpose. The yearly-awarded prizes are given to honour those who help mankind.
Grammar and Vocabulary 1. Paul doesn’t have to be made ______. He B always works hard. A. study B. to study C. studied D. studying D 2. The salesman scolded the girl caught _____ and left her off. A. to have stolen B. to be stealing C. to steal D. stealing
3. -----Don’t forget to post my letter. Please remember. D -----Yes, I promise I’ll remember ______ your letter. A. posting B. having posted C. to be posted D. to post 4. When we came into the lab, we saw the teacher ______ experiments. C A. to make B. made C. making D. having made A 5. Jane was heard ______ the song last night in the next room. A. singing B. to sing C. to be singing D. sing
C 6. Suddenly I noticed a man ______ at a table near the window kept glancing in my direction. A. sit B. seat C. sitting D. seating 7. I felt someone ______ me on the arm all of a sudden. D A. touching B. to touch C. touched D. touch 8. The policeman observed the young fellow _____ the B bank with a shotgun and he followed in. A. to enter B. entering C. have entered D. entering
9. As a result of the serious flood, two-thirds of A the buildings ______ in the area. A. need repairing B. needs to repair C. needs repairing D. need to repair 10. ----Robert is indeed a wise man. ----Oh, yes. How often I have regretted ______ his advice! D A. to take B. taking C. not to take D. not taking
11. ---Did Peter fix the computer himself? ---He ____, because he doesn't know much about C computers. A. has it fixed B. had fixed it C. had it fixed D. fixed it 12. ----Can I smoke here? D ----Sorry. We don’t allow ______ here. A. people smoking B. people smoke C. to smoke D. smoking 13. After a knock at the door, the child heard his mother’s voice ______ him. A A. calling B. called C. being called D. to call
14. There is nothing more I can try ______ you to stay, D so I wish you good luck. A. being persuaded B. persuading C. to be persuaded D. to persuade B 15. She stopped ______ the window and found a cloud of smoke coming out of her neighbor’s house. A. look out of B. to look out of C. looking out of D. looked out of