- Количество слайдов: 13
Counterterrorism vs. Anti-terrorism
►What are the goals of counterterrorism?
Terrorist Necessities ►Political message ►Money ►People ►Organization
Goals ► 1. Ending Terrorism? ► 2. Containment ► 3. Disruption ► 4. Isolation ► 5. Finance ► 6. Communication Dynamic ► 7. Political Support for Counterterrorism Policies ► 8. Root Causes and Support for Terrorist Cause
1. Ending Terrorism? ►Elimination of terrorist acts and terrorist organizations? ►Minimization of terrorist acts? ►Making terrorist organizations politically irrelevant?
2. Containment ► Preventing the spread of terrorist ideology ► Preventing the spread of terrorist organizational capability geographically ► Preventing the spread of terrorist activity ► Preventing escalation of attack tempo and character (WMD)
3. Disruption ►Weakening and complicating terrorist ability to act coherently toward a political end § Preventing attacks § Counter-leadership § Communication capability § Organizational infrastructure
4. Isolation ►Isolate a terrorist organization from the population it seeks to lead or conquer?
5. Finance ►Destroying the terrorist organization’s financial networks § Degrades capability § Degrades recruiting
6. Communication Dynamic ►Terrorism vs. Counterterrorism is negotiating through violence § Deterrence § Compellence § Article on US use of Cold war strategies against terrorists
Influencing the PLO Decision to engage in major terrorist action against Israel 1967 -68 Decision to negotiate with Israel 1987 -88 Time Decision to accept Oslo Accords 1993 Decision to reject Camp David II agreement 2000
7. Political Support for Counterterrorism Policies ►Maintaining support at home ►Maintaining support among allies § $$$$ § Intelligence § International legitimacy
8. Root Causes and Support for Terrorist Cause ►Why do terrorists gain active supporters? ►Why do terrorists gain passive supporters? ►Discouraging the next generation