- Количество слайдов: 78
I. Translate the following sentences into Chinese. 1. We are an exporter of household electrical appliances and would take the liberty to send you our quotation sheet for your reference. 我们是家用电器出口商，现冒昧给贵方寄去我方的报价单 供参考。 2. All the quotations on the list are subject to our final confirmation. 单上的所有报价均以我方最后确认为准。
3. We note with regret that our earlier offers in respect of wooden toys have not interested you, but we venture to hope that you will be ready to consider an offer of plush toys. 很遗憾得知我方前几次木制玩具的报价未能使贵 方感兴趣，但仍冒昧地恳请贵方对长毛绒玩具的 报价给予考虑。
II. Translate the letter into Chinese Gentlemen, Thank you for your offer of June 1 for 100 pairs of ABC Brand shoes No. 5 at US$30 a pair FOB Keelung. While appreciating your kind offer, we have to say that US$30 a pair seems to be too high. Shoes of a similar quality to yours are being retailed at department stores here at much lower prices. We wonder if you would kindly consider reducing the price to $20 a pair. If you could come down to this price, we might be able to order 300 dozen. Your consideration of this matter and immediate reply would be appreciated. Yours truly,
1 2 3 Introduction of orders Writing Strategy Typical Sample Letters
Objectives By learning this unit, students are supposed to be able to: 1. Master the essential words and expressions. 2. Be familiar with the structure of order. 3. Learn the writing skills of order. 4. Practice writing order letters.
Introduction of Orders • Q: What is an order? • A: An order is a request for the supply of a specific quantity of goods or some certain services.
• Q: When will we regard the business letter as an order? • A: It may result from the buyer’s acceptance of confirmation of an offer made by the sellers or result from the sellers’ acceptance or confirmation of a counter-offer made by the buyers.
• Q: How can we send an order to its receiver? • A: By telex, telegraphic message, or e-mails, or even orally on the phone or at the meeting.
Writing Strategy 1. An order should contain the elements as follows: 1) Name and specification or description of the commodity 2) Quality 3) Quantity 4) Prices (unit price and total value) and price terms 5) Terms of payment 6) Port of shipment and port of destination 7) Date and method of shipping 8) Package
2. An order should be written in the following form: a) Use direct language in the first paragraph to refer the seller to the previous contact, acknowledging that you have received the offer and have the intention to place an order. b) Describe what is being ordered in great detail. Indicate the catalog numbers, sizes, colors, prices, specifications and all other relevant information that will enable the seller to fill the order without any further questions. You may use two paragraphs to fulfill this part. The first paragraph is for you to give the detailed description of your order. The sequence of a number of items is necessary and should be clearly followed. The second one is to state the terms and form of payment and the anticipated date of delivery and the mode of transportation. c) Close the letter by expressing willingness to cooperate or suggesting future business dealings.
3. What should the seller do when receiving an order? (2 Situations) ① Make a confirmation. 1) Express thanks for the order received. 2) Enclose a sales confirmation if necessary. 3) Restate the terms of trade. 4) Assure the buyer of your prompt delivery and careful attention to the goods ordered. 5) Express your desire for further orders.
② Make a rejection. (Why? ) 1) Express thanks for the order received. 2) Give the reasons why you can not accept the order while showing your appreciation of the buyer’s interest in your company and express your regret of inability to entertain the order. 3) Offer alternative suggestions for the transaction and express your concern for future contacts.
The seller can not accept an order for some reasons, such as goods ordered out of stock, unfavorable terms your customer has asked for, etc.
Sample Letters • An Initial Order • Confirmation of an Order • Offering Substitute • A Repeat Order • Declining a Order
An Initial Order 1 Dear Sirs, Thank you for your letter of July 15 th with which you enclosed your price-list and catalogue and the samples of Women’s Cotton Garments. We find both quality and prices satisfactory and are pleased to give you our Order① No. 78 as follows: Item Women’s Cotton Garments ditto② ditto Size Quantity (dozen) Unit Price (per dozen) Small 120 US $ 130. 00 Medium Large 140 110 US $ 150. 00 US $ 160. 00
We note that you can supply these items form stock③ and hope you will make delivery by the end of August. Our company will reserve the right to cancel this order or reject the goods for any delay in shipment. We expect to find a good market for the above and hope to place further and large orders with you in the near future. Our usual terms of payment are by D/P 60④days and we hope they will be satisfactory to you. Meanwhile, should you wish to make enquiries concerning our financial standing⑤, you may refer to the following manufactures, with whom we had dealings for many years: ABC Co. , Ltd. Yours faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. order n. 订单，订货 initial order 首次订单 fresh order 新订单 trial order 试购订单 repeat order 续订单 duplicate order 重复订单 outstanding/pending order 未完成订单 to place an order (with sb. for sth. ) （向某人）订购（某物） to accept an order 接受订单 to execute/fulfill/carry out an order 执行订单 to cancel an order 取消订单 to withdraw an order 撤回订单 to decline/turn down/refuse an order 拒接订单 to close/confirm/take on/entertain an order 接受订单 to hold up/suspend an order 暂停执行订单
order v. 订购 e. g. If you order immediately, we can make shipment this month. 如你方立即订购，我方可在本月装运。 2. ditto n. 同上；同上符号 3. stock n. 存货 e. g. We have a large stock of cotton prints. 我们有大量印花棉布现货。 There are no stocks available at present. 目前无货可供。
4. Our usual terms of payment are D/P 60 days. 我们通常的付款方式为六十天付款交单。 D/P: document against payment 在这种支 付方式下，进口商不开信用证，由出口商开出汇 票连同装运单据通过银行向进口商收款，进口商 必须付清货款才能取得单证。这种方式属于托收 (collection)方式。 5. financial standing 资信情况 e. g. As to our financial standing, we wish to refer you to our bank. 关于我方资信情况，请向我方银行查询。
An Initial Order 2 Triumph Trading Co. 134 Dalhousie Street, Toronto B 4 H 53 A, Canada August 12, 2009 NEW AGE Imp. & Exp. Co. , Suzhou, China Dear Sirs, Lion Brand Bicycles
Thank you for your letter of Aug. 12 sending us your quotation and samples. We find both quality and prices satisfactory①. Enclosed herewith② please find our Order No. 233. As we are in urgent need of these goods, we hope you will make delivery at an early date. Please send us your Sales Confirmation③ in duplicate④ as soon as possible. Thank you for your prompt attention. Yours faithfully, J. White (Manager) Encl. As stated
Triumph Trading Co. 134 Dalhousie Street, Toronto B 4 H 53 A, Canada Order Form No. 233 A Aug. 12, 2009 New Age Imp. & Exp. Co. , Suzhou, China Quantity Description of goods Unit Price (CIF Toronto) Racing Bike 10 Standard yellow $ 300 Racing Bike 10 Deluxe blue $ 350 Mountain Bike 100 Blue/White $ 38 Mountain Bike 100 Pink/White $ 38 Price $ 3, 000 $ 3, 500 $ 3, 800 Total: $ 14, 100 2% discount: $ 282 Grand Total: $13, 818
Packing: in wooden cases Shipment: from Suzhou not later than October 16 Payment: by confirmed irrevocable L/C payable by sight draft⑤ Authorized by: J. White (Manager) Tel. : 416 -277 -5000 Fax: 416 -500 -8000 E-mail: [email protected] com. ca
Language Points 1. satisfactory adj. 令人满意的 e. g. If the prices are reasonable and qualities satisfactory, we shall be able to place substantial orders. 如果价格合理, 质量满意，我们将大量订购。 We believe such an arrangement will prove satisfactory. 我们相信那样的安排会令人满意。 satisfy v. 使满意；满足 e. g. We will do our best to satisfy your requirements for Christmas Decorations. 我们将会尽最大努力来满足你们对圣诞饰品的需求。 be satisfied with 对 ……满意 e. g. Our customers are quite satisfied with your stationary and intend to place a trial order. 我们的客户对你们的文具十分满意，打算试订。 satisfaction n. 满意 e. g. We trust our goods will reach you in good time and turn out to your full satisfaction. 我们相信我们的商品将如期到达而且使你们完全满意。
2. herewith adv. 同此 = with this 正式书面用语，常用于正式文件、声明等中。类似表达方式有： hereafter 此后 = after this hereby 以后 = by this herein 在此 = in this hereinafter 在下文 = in a following part of hereunder 在下面 = under this hereof 关于此 = of this hereto 附此 = to this
3. Sales Confirmation 销售确认书 Sales Contract 销售合同 Purchase Confirmation 购买确认书 Purchase Contract 购买合同
4. duplicate adj. 复制的；副的；完全相同 n. 复制品；副本 vt. 复写；复制；使加倍 e. g. The duplicate copy of the Sales Confirmation is to be kept by us. 此销售确认书的副本由我方保存。 We intend to place a duplicate order and wonder if you could accept. 我们打算重复订购，不知你们能否接受。 in duplicate 一式两份 in triplicate 一式三份 in quadruplicate 一式四分及以上的也常说 in four copies (in four fold), in five copies (in five fold) 等。
5. Payment: by confirmed irrevocable L/C payable by sight draft 付款方式：保兑的不可撤销即期汇票信用证 L/C: Letter of Credit 信用证 , 是一种银行开立的有条件的承诺付款的 书面文件，它是一种银行信用。 confirmed L/C: Confirmed Letter of Credit保兑信用证 , 保兑信用证 系指开证银行开出的信用证经另一定银行加以保兑，保证兑付受益人所 开具的汇票，称保兑信用证。 irrevocable L/C: irrevocable Letter of Credit不可撤销信用证, 不可 撤销信用证是指开证行一经开出、在有效期内未经受益人或议付行等有 关当事人同意，不得随意修改或撤销的信用证；只要受益人按该证规定 提供有关单据，开证行（或其指定的银行）保证付清货款。 L/C payable by sight draft: 即期信用证（Sight Credit）, 即期信用证 是指开证行或付款行收到符合信用证条款的跟单汇票或装运单据后，立 即履行付款义务的信用证；是受益人根据信用证的规定，可凭即期跟单 汇票或仅凭单据收取货款的信用证。其特点是受益人收汇安全迅速。
Confirmation of an Order 1 25 March, 2009 Dear Sirs, We want to say how pleased we were to receive your order of 25 March for our sport supplies and welcome you as one of our customers. We confirm supply of the goods at the prices stated in your letter and are arranging for dispatch① next week by sea. When the goods reach you we feel confident you will be completely satisfied with them at the prices offered, for they represent exceptional value.
As you may not be aware of the wide range of goods we are dealing in, we are enclosing a copy of our catalogue and hope that our handling of your first order with us will lead to further business between us and mark the beginning of② a happy working relationship. Yours faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. dispatch v. 发送，派遣，赶办，迅速处理 e. g. If the buyers fail to dispatch the vessel in time, the sellers shall have the right to claim compensation for their losses. 如买方不能及时派遣运送船只，卖方有权要求赔偿损失。 We are anxious to dispatch a business in hand. 我们急于办完手头一项业务。 Your order have be noted and will be dispatch as soon as we have stork. 你的订货已做了记载, 一经有货我们将马上发送.
n. [U]（迅速）发送（货物等）；（ C）一批发运的货物 e. g. We shall be in a position to quote you for limited quantities for dispatch during April should you have any interest in these goods. 如你方对这些商品有兴趣，我们能够报价，货物数量 有限，4月份发货。 To avoid delay in dispatch perhaps you would like to order as soon as possible. 为避免延迟发货，您也许更愿意尽早下订单。 with dispatch 迅速地 e. g. Please give this first order your most careful attention and ship the goods with all possible dispatch. 请高度重视这第一次订单，并尽快装运货物。
2. mark the beginning of … 标志着 …的开始 e. g. The order-letter marks the beginning of their business contact. 订购信标志着他们商业往来的开始。
Confirmation of an Order 2 NEW AGE IMPORT & EXPORT CORPORATION 71 DAFANG ROAD, SUZHOU JIANGSU, CHINA August 18, 2009 Triumph Trading Co. 134 Dalhousie Street, Toronto B 4 H 53 A, Canada Dear Sirs,
Re: Your Order No. 233 and Our S/C No. 1543 We are pleased to inform you that we have booked① your Order No. 233 A for our bikes. As requested, we enclosed herewith our Sales Confirmation No. 1543 in duplicate. Please sign and return one copy to us for our file②. It is understood that an L/C in our favour covering the captioned goods will be established on or about③ Aug. 31. You may rest assured④ that we shall effect⑤ shipment with the least possible delay⑥ upon receipt⑦ of your credit. We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to receiving your further orders. Yours faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. book v. 登记入帐薄；预订 book one’s order = accept one’s order 卖给某人 e. g. We have booked your order for 200 pcs. 兹卖给你方 200件。 book an order with sb. = place an order with sb. 向某人订购 e. g. We have booked an order for 200 pcs with you. 兹向你方订购 200件。 We have booked shipping space on S. S “White Cloud” which is scheduled to sail on 4 th May. 我们已在定于 5月4日起航的白云轮上预订了舱位。 bookings n. & pl. 订货 e. g. Owing to heavy bookings, we cannot accept any fresh order for the time being. 由于订货太多，我们暂时不能接受新订单。
2. for one’s file = for one’s records 供某人存档 类似表达方式有： for one’s reference 供某人参考 for one’s information 供某人参考 for one’s consideration 供某人考虑 3. on or about 在某一天或左右 on or before 在某一天或以前
4. assure v. 保证，担保 e. g. We can assure you that shipment will be effected upon receipt of your L/C. 我们保证一收到信用证即装运。 We assure you of full cooperation. 我们保证会通力合作。 be assured/rest assured 放心 e. g. Please be assured (You may rest assured) that we shall do our utmost to meet your requirements. 请放心，我们会尽力满足你方需求。 assurance n. 保证 e. g. You have our assurance that goods shall be packed in seaworthy cartons. 我们保证商品会用适合海运的纸箱包装
5. effect v. 实现；完成 e. g. Please effect insurance on your side. 请在你方投保。 Shipment can be promptly effected. 可即期装船。 effect shipment 装船 effect insurance 投保 effect payment 支付 effect delivery 交货 effect n. 效果；影响 take effect from/on 自（在）……开始生效 e. g. The newly revised prices will take effect from/on the first of next month. 修改后的新价格将从下月1日开始生效。 The fluctuation of foreign exchange has great effects on foreign trade. 汇率的波动对外贸有很大影响。
6. with the least possible delay 毫不延迟 类似的表达方法还有 without any delay, at once, by return 等。 7. upon receipt of 一收到即（做某事）= on receipt of e. g. Upon receipt of your instruction, we shall make necessary arrangements. 一收到你们的指示，我们即作必要安排。
Confirmation of an Order 3 Dear Sirs, We are pleased to receive your order of 19 th January for tablecloths and welcome as one of our customers. We confirm 10, 000 dozen tablecloths at the prices stated in your letter and will arrange for delivery by the first available steamer① upon receipt of your L/C. We feel confident that when the goods reach② you, you will be completely satisfied with them at the prices offered. The draft contract③ is being drawn up④ and will be submitted⑤ to you for approval⑥ as soon as it is ready. We hope the conclusion⑦ of this deal⑧ will pave the way for further friendly cooperation between us and mark the beginning of a good working relationship. Yours faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. the first available steamer 第一艘轮船 2. reach v. 到达；达成 e. g. They finally reached the coast after five weeks of sailing. 经过 5个星期的航行，他们终于到达了海岸。 We are taking all necessary steps for the opening of the L/C and hope it will reach you in a week or so. 我们正采取一切措施开立信用证，希望它一周左右抵达你处。 We hope we can meet each other half way and reach an agreement. 我们希望咱们各让一半达成协议。
3. draft contract 合同草案，草约 draft n. 草稿，草案，初稿 e. g. She asked me to check the draft of the contract. 她要我审查一下合同的初稿。 draft v. 起草，草拟 e. g. Draft a proposal for the project and we can discuss it at the meeting. 请为该计划草拟一个方案，我们开会时讨论。 4. draw up 准备，起草，草拟 e. g. We will have the contract drawn up for signature tomorrow. 我们将把合同拟好，以便明天签字。 I’ve drawn up a list of candidates that I’d like to interview. 我为我将面试的选手拟定了一个名单。
5. submit v. 提交，提供 e. g. Please submit specifications, preferably with illustrations. 请提供规格，最好有插图。 You must submit your application before January 1 st. 你必须在 1月1日之前提交申请。 They desired that the dispute be submitted for arbitration. 他们要求把争端提交仲裁。 6. approval n. 批准；赞成，认可 e. g. This new product of ours has met with wide approval. 我们这种新产品博得了广泛的好评。
7. conclusion n. 完成；商定，结论 e. g. We look forward to the conclusion of this business. 我们希望达成这笔交易。 conclude v. 完成；得出结论 e. g. We are glad to have concluded this transaction with you. 我们非常高兴已和你方达成了这笔交易。 8. deal n. 交易 e. g. This deal is concluded to our mutual satisfaction. 这笔交易满意地达成。 9. pave the way for 为 ……铺平道路 e. g. We hope your first order will pave the way for our future dealings. 我们希望你方第一次订单将为我们今后的交易铺平道路。
Offering Substitute 1 Dear Sirs, We are glad to learn from your letter of 21 September that you had decided to place a large order for a number of the items included in our quotation of August 15 th. All of the items ordered are in stock except Pattern No. 9001 Shanghai Printed Pure Silk. Stocks of these have been sold out since we quoted for them and the makers inform us that it will be another four weeks before they can send replacements. As you stated in your order that delivery of all items is a matter of urgency, we have substituted① Hangzhou Printed Pure Silk, identical in design and quality with those ordered.
They are rich-looking and most attractive and very popular with our other customers. We hope you will like them, but if not, please return them at our expense②. All of the items ordered are being sent to you today by air and should reach you tomorrow or the day following. We hope you will be pleased with them. Your faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. substitute v. 替换，取代 substitute A for B 或 substitute B by (with) A 以A 替代B e. g. If the article needed is out of stock, please substitute it with a similar one. 如果所需商品无货，请用近似产品替代。 We agree to substitute plastics for wood. (= We agree to replace wood with/by plastics. ) 我们同意以塑料替代木材。
substitute n. 代用品，替代品 take (accept) A as a substitute for B 以A替代B e. g. To protect environment, we have already used synthetic materials as a substitute for wood in our production. 为了保护环境，我们早已在生产中用合成材 料替代了木材。 substitution n. 代替 e. g. We enclose an amended contract in substitution for the previous one. 随函附上一份已修改的合同以替代以前的那份。
2. at one’s expense (at one’s cost) 归某人付费（或 负担） e. g. In case you wish us to insure the shipment at your expense, we shall be glad to do so. 如你方愿意我方为该货保险，由你方付费， 则我们乐意照办。 at the expense of (at the cost of) 以……为牺牲， 在损害 ……的情况下 e. g. The competitiveness of our prices is made possible by our mass production and cost control and not at the expense of quality. 我们价格之所以具有竞争性，是由于大批量生 产和控制成本，而不是牺牲或降低质量。
Offering Substitute 2 Dear Ms. Carter, Spring Bamboo Brand Cashmere Sweater We thank you for your order on October 10 for 1500 Lotus Brand Sweaters. However, we no longer carry① Lotus that you asked about. Our new Snow White line has replaced the Lotus that you asked about. Spring Bamboo Brand features a wider range of colors and sizes, and is more contemporary in style. We have enclosed the pricelist of Spring Bamboo line products and airmailed you samples and a catalogue for your reconsideration.
As for our terms of payment, we insist on confirmed, irrevocable letter of credit available by draft at sight, reaching us one month before shipment, valid for② negotiation in China till the 21 st day after the prescribed time of shipment. We look forward to your reply. Sincerely, (Signature) Jacob Smith Manager
Language Points 1. carry v. [美国英语 ]【商业 】有(某种商品) 出售；备办 (货物 )；经营 e. g. The department store carries a variety of leather shoes. 这家百货商店出售各类皮鞋。 They carried a great stock of goods for winter sale. 他们置办了大批货物以供冬季销售。
2. valid for negotiation 议付有效 valid in … for negotiation until … 在……议付至 ……止 e. g. This Letter of Credit is valid for negotiation in China until Oct. 16, 2004. 本信用证于2004年 10月16日止在中国议付有效。 Terms of Payment: By irrevocable L/C at sight to reach the Sellers a month prior to the time of shipment and remain valid for negotiation in China until the 15 th day after the final date of shipment. 付款条件：买方应由卖方可接受的银行于装运月份前30天 开立并送达卖方不可撤销即期信用证，至装运月份后第 15 天在中国议付有效。 negotiation n. 议付 e. g. Negotiation must be on or before the 15 th day of shipment. 自装船日起 15天或之前议付。
Repeat Order 1 Dear Sirs, Thank you for your letter dated 17 of this month, sending us your patterns of Printed Poplin①. We find both quality and prices satisfactory and pleased to give you a repeat order for the following items on the understanding② that they will be supplied from stock at the prices named.
Quantity Pattern No. Prices 60, 000 yards 161 HK $ 11 per yard 50, 000 yards 163 HK $ 14 per yard 60, 000 yards 165 HK $ 17 per yard (all the prices are CIF⑤ New York We expect to find a good market for③ the above and hope to place further and larger orders with you in near future.
Our usual terms of payment are cash against documents④ and we hope they will be agreeable to you. Please send us your confirmation of sales in duplicate. Yours faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. printed poplin印花府绸 2. on the understanding: on the condition 在此条件下 e. g. As the machine was hired to you on the understanding that regular payments would be made, we must ask that in future the terms of the agreement should be strictly adhered to. 我们约定分期付款而将该机械组给贵公司使用。我们诚望贵 公司对此协议能严格履行。 3. find a good market for: find a ready market for开拓好的市场 e. g. We expect to find a good market for these goods and hope to place further and larger order with you in the near future. 我们估计这批货会很畅销，并希望不久能再次向贵公司下更 大的订单。
4. cash against documents付现交单 e. g. We propose either cash against documents on arrival of goods, or drawing on us at three months’ sight. 建议日后采用货到后凭单据支付现金的方法或由本公 司开立见票第三个月付款的汇票交易。 Cash Against Documents，简称 CAD，属交货时付款之 销 售条件，此种付款方式为卖方买卖契约之约定，在出口地 完 成出口装运后，备妥后运单据（ Shipping Documents）在 出口地、进口地或第三国向买方指定之银行或代理人提示 单 据并收取货款。付现交单的支付方式如下：卖方将货物提 单 或能够证明货物所有权的凭证，交给买方或买方代理人后， 经验证无误，即将货款支付给卖方或其代理人。这种支付 方
5. CIF: Cost insurance and Freight (…named port of destination) 成本加保险费加运费（指定目的港） CIF指当货物在装运港越过船舷时，（实际为装运 船 舱内），卖方即完成交货。货物自装运港到目的港的 运费保险费等由卖方支付，但货物装船后发生的损坏 及灭失的风险由买方承担；即买卖双方的交易风险仍 然以装运船的船舷为划分标准。
Repeat Order 2 M. T. Trading Co. Ltd 43 Wentworth Road, Strathfield NSW (2135) Australia Tel: (02) 97156370 Fax: (02) 97156431 E-mail: [email protected] austr May 27, 2008 Yongsheng & Co. Rm 509 -511 Tongle Bldg Shennan Rd, Shenzhen, China Dear Sirs, Re: Contract No. WS 366 -Chinese Silk Goods
We have received the captioned shipment ex② S. S③ “New Line”, and are pleased to inform that all your goods are found quite satisfactory. As it is certain that the market is in great need of④ additional quantities, we wish to book with you a repeat order① for the following items. Other terms and conditions are the same as are stated in Contract No. WS 366. Pattern No. 054 Quantity 34, 000 yards 183 36, 000 yards 207 50, 000 yards
Our urgent need of the goods requires prompt shipment, for any delay in it would cause us inconvenience. If the repeated order can’t be shipped from stock, please advise us with all particulars⑤ of those available from stock. Yours faithfully, M. T. Trading Co. Ltd Purchase Division ……
Language Points 1. repeat order 续订订单；续订的货物 repeat n. 续订订单 复数为： repeats; repeat orders; further orders. repeat order 与原订单除装运期不同外，价格与数量甚至详 细规格亦未必相同。假定除装运期不同外，其他一些条件都 相同则称为 duplicate order。 2. ex prep. 从；在……交货 ex S. S “Peace” 由和平轮卸下（主要用于进口业务中） ex S. S “Victory” 由胜利轮装运（主要用于出口业务中）
3. S. S (steamer ship) 或m. v. (motor vessel) 用于船名前， 表示某某号轮。 4. be in need of 需要 be in urgent/great/need of; be badly in need of 急需 e. g. We are badly in need of the goods ordered to arrange production. 我们急需所订货物以安排生产。 5. all particulars 详细情况 e. g. This work should be done correctly in all particulars. 这项 作每一点都必须做到正确无误。 All particulars of designs, colors and sizes are given on the enclosed order form. 有关图案、颜色和尺寸等细节见所附定单。
Declining an Order 1 Dear Sirs, We have carefully considered your order of September 3 rd but very much regret that we cannot accept it. The prices quoted in our letter of 1 September leave us with only the smallest of margins① and they are in fact lower than those of our competitions for goods of the similar quality. The pet toys produced in our factory undergo a special process. The fact that we are the largest suppliers of these products in this country is in itself evidence of the good value of our products. If, having given further thought to② the matter, you feel you cannot accept our offer, we hope it will not prevent you from approaching us on some other occasions. We shall always be very pleased to hear from you and will carefully consider any proposals likely to lead to business between us. Yours faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. the smallest of margins 最小利润 e. g. As we work on small profit margins, we regret that we cannot grant long-term credit facilities. 由于我们进行利润微薄的交易，很抱歉我们 不能提供长期赊欠的便利。 2. give thought to …. 考虑到 e. g. Consider these traits and then give thought to your own style. 想想这些特点然后对照一下你自己的。
Declining an Order 2 Dear Sirs, We have the pleasure of confirming your fax of May 27, in which you informed us that you wish to book a repeat order with us. Much as we would like to expand our business with you, we feel regretful that we cannot at present entertain① any fresh orders for the abovementioned goods, owing to heavy commitments②. However, we shall not fail to contact you as soon as our new stocks come in. Regarding stock Chinese silk goods, we are also enclosing a list for your perusal③ in case you are interested in any other items. If possible, please do not hesitate to let us know your detailed requirement. Yours faithfully, XXX
Language Points 1. entertain v. 考虑（引申为准备接受） e. g. We shall be glad to entertain any constructive suggestion you make. 我们将考虑你方所提出的具有建设性的意见。 We are too heavily committed to be able entertain fresh orders. 由于订单太多无法接受新订单。 2. commitment n. 所承诺的事；所承担的责任 e. g. Heavy commitments prevent us from accepting new orders. 由于订单太多无法接受新的订单。 After China’s entry into the WTO, the Chinese government must honor the commitments made while enjoying the rights entitled. 中国加入WTO之后，中国政府在享受权利的同时将履行义务。 owing to heavy commitments = as they are heavily committed 由于订单太多
commit vt. 承诺，约束；使负有责任（商业上常指订货） e. g. We shall try our best to do as requested but cannot commit ourselves. 我们将尽力按照你方要求去做，但不作任何承诺。 Our manufactures have committed themselves to substantial orders for a few months ahead. 生产厂家在未来几个月有许多大笔订单要完成。 3. for your perusal 供某人详阅 e. g. Regarding the details of specifications, we are faxing a copy of our illustrated catalogue for your perusal. 关于详细规格，我们传真一份带插图的目录供你方参阅。
Glossary • • • 1. order sheet/form 订单 2. additional order追加订货 3. to take an order接受订单 4. to dispatch an order发货 5. to cancel an order撤消订单 6. be in the market for sth. 想购某物 7. Purchase Confirmation 销售确认书 8. substantial orders 大批量的订单 9. immediate delivery 立即交货 10. be shipped from stock 供应现货
• • • 11. rest assured that … 放心…… 12. acknowledgement of order 订单确认 13. ready market 现成的市场 14. on condition that 以……为条件 15. supply … from stock 供……现货 16. with reference to … 关于…… 17. for your reference 供你方参考 18. It is understood that … 不用说 …… 19. the ruling price 现行价格 20. effect shipment 装船，装运
• • • 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. on receipt of 一经收到 floor price 最低价格 prime quality 第一流的质量 counter-signature 会签 heavy commitments 过量订单 to withdraw an order 取消订单 on account of 由于，因为 enclosed you will find 随函附上……请查收 firm condition 硬条件 out of stock 脱销
• • • 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. confirm to 使一致，符合 make out 填写，开列 special discount 特别折扣 feel regretful that … 对 ……感到遗憾 within the stipulated time 在规定时间里 total value 总额 in good time 及时 rush order 紧急订单 more or less clause 溢短装条款 urgent needs 急需
• 41. 时 • 42. • 43. • 44. • 45. • 46. • 47. • 48. • 49. • 50. at one’s earliest convenience 在……尽早方便 current year 本年度 to one’s entire satisfaction 让某人完全满意 lay emphasis on 强调 to turn down an order 拒绝订单 be in a position to 能够 be up to 某物达到……标准 exceptional discount 额外折扣 keep sb. advised of 随时告知某人情况 ready to consider 准备考虑
Exercises 1. We are prepared to business only on theses terms. A. transact B. transit C. transect D. transfer 2. We would appreciate your sending us a trial order, which we with keen interest. A. are waiting B. await C. await for D. are awaiting
3. Please make sure that our order is executed. A. with least any delay C. with the least possible delay B. without the least possible delay D. with least possible delay 4. is our Sales Confirmation in duplicate, a copy of which please sign and return to us for our file. A. Enclose B. Enclosed C. Enclosing D. Encloses 5. We have accepted your Order No. TR 22. Please open the relative L/C, here four weeks before the date of shipment. A. that should reach C. when it reaches B. which should reach D. which should arrive at