- Количество слайдов: 79
Chapter 16 -4 Q’s Navy Cross Dorie Miller earned this.
What you’ll learn… 1. From Sept. 1939 to Dec. 1941, the US provides economic and military aid to the Allies. ***We join the war after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941***
Why it matters…… 1. The military capabilities of the US ü were a deciding factor in the Allies winning the war ü and in world affairs ever since.
16 -4 vocab Allies Axis Wolf Packs Cash and Carry
Focus Q: Feb. 20 Compare “Cash-n-carry” (P. 550) and “Lend-lease” (p. 552). üDefine each. üWhat do they have in common? üHow are they different?
FQ: March 3 • Page 557. • Read “REACTION TO PEARL HARBOR. ” • What major problem did the US have if it got involved in WWII?
FQ: February 16 • Play Bob Marley, Redemption Song • Describe what these lyrics mean to you in a paragraph: • “emancipate yourself from mental slavery, • None but ourselves can free our minds”
Focus Q What did the US do to help the Allies win WW 2, BEFORE we were attacked at Pearl Harbor? üDescribe these 2 things.
Focus Q Pages 555 -56. Use at least 6 numbers to describe the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Assignment—read, take notes 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. Read p. 535 Neutrality Acts Read p. 550 Cash-n-Carry Read p. 552 Lend-lease Read p. 557 Reaction to Pearl Harbor Do graphic organizer
1. What was “cash and carry” and why did FDR support it? ***Cash and carry—buy US arms, pay cash, take arms on own ships*** • Providing arms that would defeat Hitler, best way to keep US out of the war
1935 Neutrality Act Repealed
What is happening in the cartoon?
2. In what other ways did we aid the British? (p. 551) 1. Sept. 1940 trades 50 old destroyers for leases on BR bases in Caribbean and Newfoundland 2. By June 1940 US had sent 500 K rifles, 80 K machine guns
Old Destroyers for Bases
3. Who were the Axis Powers? • Germany, IT, Japan What big problem did this alliance pose to the US, if we got into WW 2? • ***2 -front war***
Mussolini and Hitler
4. What was unique about the draft begun in 1940? ü 1 st peacetime draft How many registered? ü 16 M registered, ages 21 -35 How many drafted? ü 1 M drafted for one year
5. Describe lend-lease. 1. 1940 Britain out of cash ü replaces “cash and carry” w/ lend-lease ü March 1941 2. ***We lend-lease arms (don’t have to pay $), supplies to any country vital to defense of US***
Lend-lease, 1941 1. If we help the BR win, we can stay out of the war 2. Help USSR too—June 1941 Hitler invades 3. Really we are taking steps towards declaring war on the Axis Powers
66% goes to Britain
“It’s truly encouraging how much of this stuff drifts into British ports. ” Two-thirds goes to BR.
Veggies for British Kids
Approved March 1941: whose flags?
6. What were wolf packs? 1. Germans subs—wolf packs 2. ***FDR called ‘em “rattlesnakes in the Atlantic”** Good name? 3. Germans sinking ships faster than BR could build them
Wolf packs 1. So effective Hitler pushed production of more subs—mistake
1. by late 1943 radar and airplanes had greatly reduced the sub threat—see subs at surface 2. Also Sonar—see subs underwater 3. Convoy system (p. 383)
8. What was the main purpose of the Atlantic Charter? • FDR and Churchill ***Set war goals***
9. Who were the 4 main Allies? ***US, USSR, BR, FR***
Represents Communist Party
Compare military deaths for these countries? Who paid the highest price?
10. What animal did FDR compare u-boats to? **rattlesnakes**
11. Use at least 6 numbers to describe the attack on Pearl Harbor. Japan 1. 6 aircraft carriers 2. 180 planes 3. lost 29 planes 4. 2 waves— 8 and 9: 30 am
Pearl Harbor attack US 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 2400 die, 1178 wounded 300 -350 planes destroyed 2 US planes get into the air Dec. 7, 1941 21 ships sunk, badly damaged—most will be repaired and serve in WW 2 All Subs, aircraft carriers out to sea More damage than all of WW 1
12. See map p. 556 (US Ships at Pearl Harbor). Why do you think so many ships were sunk or damaged in the attack? • Anchored in rows • Anchored side-by-side
USS Hornet CV 8 Length 876 Beam 147 Draft 29 (under load)
USS Chenango w/ P-40’s
13. Why did FDR dread a 2 front war? –Don’ have enough planes or ships –Must build them –Will lose some battles before we start winning
14. Why did the US enter WWII? **Japan bombed Pearl Harbor**
Japanese Dive Bomber
• Cuba Gooding , Jr played this man, Dorie Miller in the movie “Pearl Harbor” • See the Navy Cross?
Japanese Minisub Wreckage
300 -350 Planes Destroyed
The Giant Awakens
Pearl Harbor Memorial
15. See “Economic Background” on page 557. How did industry change to support the war effort? 1. 2. 3. 4. merry-go-round company—gun mounts Stove factory—lifeboats Toy maker—compasses Pinball machines—armor piercing shells
Left side 1. Page 535. Describe the Neutrality Acts. 2. Page 550. What was “cash and carry? ” Why did the US do this? 3. Page 552. Describe “Lend-Lease. ” Why did the US do this? 4. Page 555 -56. Describe the impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor?
16 -4 Creative side 3 main points and draw pictures that show US involvement in WWII. p. 535 1. Neutrality Acts 4. effect of the attack on Pearl Harbor p. 555 -56 p. 550 2. Cash–n-Carry 3. Lend-Lease p. 552
WWII: US Marches to War • Using the graphic organizer as a guide, write a 1 page paper describing how America went from neutrality to declaring war in WWII.
WWII Acrostic Use words that describe what you know about WWII. P H E A A R R B L O R
Alternative left side • Write a letter home from Pearl Harbor to your parents. Describe the attack, what happened to you, what you saw, what you felt, what you smelled, etc.