- Количество слайдов: 38
BTISNET - BIOTECHNOLOGY INFORMATION SYSTEM NETWORK Bindhu Sreekesh Scientist –D NICCELL Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi
What is Bioinformatics is a “scientific discipline that compasses all aspects of biological information acquisition, processing, storage, distribution, analysis and interpretation”. It is a multi disciplinary subject which combines the tools of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science to understand Life & its processes.
Bioinformatics in India 1983 • Formation of Task Group on Bioinformatics by Dr. S. Ramachandran 1986 Department of Biotechnology established 1987 • Biotechnology Information System Network (BTISnet) • 1 st grant of Rs. 13. 38 crores by DBT towards setting up of National Infrastructural Facility on Bioinformatics
1988 • Establishment of the first 9 DICs in India 1989 onwards…. • Establishment of DIC sub-centers
Current Status DICs Sub-DICs Center of Excellence 10 48 6
• Enormous growth of Biological data size & information • Recognized the importance of IT for advanced research • Transfer and exchange of information, scientific knowledge, technology packages
OBJECTIVES • To provide a national bioinformatics network designed to bridge the inter disciplinary gaps on biotechnology information and establish link among scientists in organizations involved in R&D and manufacturing activities in the country. • To build up information resources, prepare databases on biotechnology and to develop relevant information handling tools and techniques. • To continuously assess information requirements, organize creation of necessary infrastructure and to provide information and computer support services to the national community of users working in biotechnology and allied areas.
• To coordinate efforts to access Biotechnology information world wide including establishing linkages with some of the international resources of Biotechnology information (e. g. Databanks on genetic materials, published literature, patents, and other information of scientific and commercial value. • Perform research into advanced methods of computer based information processing for analyzing the structure and function of biologically important molecules.
• To evolve and implement programmes on education of users and training of information scientists responsible for handling of biotechnology information and its applications to biotechnology research and development. • To promote international collaboration towards exchange of scientific information in biotechnology through the development of appropriate network arrangements.
CENTRES OF EXCELLENCE (Co. Es) To undertake advanced research in frontier areas in Bioinformatics and computational biology and act as national hubs in bioinformatics for creating a platform for biotechnology development, technology transfer and commercialization.
1. Bose Institute 2. 3. 4. 5. Indian Institute of Science Jawaharlal Nehru University Madurai Kamaraj University of Pune
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES PROPOSED TO BE UNDERTAKEN BY THE COEs (i) Bose Institute, Calcutta • • Modelling of protein structures Molecular interactions and docking Drug design Chromosomal dynamics Stress biology of plants Functional genomics Host-pathogen interaction
(ii) Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore • • Analysis of protein structures, motifs and recognition Peptide design Protein folding studies Structural biology of lectins, xylanase, phycocyanins, phospholipase etc • Structural genomics • Annotation and functional analysis of genomes • Microarray informatics
(iii) Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi • • • Building gene models Improved algorithms for first and last exon predictions Genome evolution Virtual screening and drug design Prediction of ligand binding site of proteins (iv) University of Pune, Pune • • Comparative and structural genomics Comparative structural genomics Metabolic pathway engineering Proteomics
(v) Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai • Genomics, proteomics and structural bioinformatics of selected regulatory systems in Streptomyces, Salmonella etc • Validation and annotation of databases of selected organisms • Computational and experimental analysis of selected systems
Priority Areas of the proposed Centres Institution Priority Area Bose Institute Molecular Modeling & Genetic Engineering Indian Institute of Science Structural Biology & Bioinformatics Jawaharlal Nehru University Computational Genomics Madurai Kamraj University Genetic Engineering & Structural Bioinformatics University of Pune Computational Biology & Genomics
Sub DICs upgraded to DICs – – – Anna University Kerala Agricultural University M. S. University, Baroda University of Calcutta Pondicherry University
NEW BIOINFORMATICS CENTRES 1. Central Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair 2. College of Engineering, Raipur 3. T. M. bahalpur University, Bahalpur 4. Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi
DISTRIBUTED INFORMATION CENTRES (DICs) 1. Anna University 2. CCMB 3. IARI 4. IMT 5. KAU 6. MSU, Baroda 7. NBRC 8. NII 9. Pondicherry University 10. University of Calcutta
DISTRIBUTED INFORMATION SUB CENTRES (SDICs) 1. ACTREC 2. Aligarh Muslim University 3. AIIMS 4. AAU 5. BHU 6. Barkatullah University 7. Banasthali Vidyapith 8. Bharathidasan University 9. Birla Institute of Scientific Research 10. Birla Institute of Technology 11. Biotech Consortium Indian Ltd. 12. Biotech Park in Biotechnology City 13. CARI 14. HPU 15. NEHU 16. CDRI 17. IICB
DISTRIBUTED INFORMATION SUB CENTRES (SDICs) (Contd. . ) • • • • • PAU CIFA IISR RGCB CIMAP IIT, Delhi RRL, Jammu CPCRI IIT, Kharagpur SCST for Sikkim CSRTI IVRI T. M. Bhagalpur University CSKKV Institute of Life Sciences TNAU Dr. Y. S. Parmar Univeristy MGIMS
DISTRIBUTED INFORMATION SUB CENTRES (SDICs) (Contd. . ) 36. TNVASU 37. DAVV 38. MSSRF 39. TBGRI 40. Engineering College 41. NBRI 42. University of Agricultural Sc. 43. G. B. Pant. Nagar Univer. 44. NDRI 45. University of Delhi 46. GNDU 47. NIO 48. University of Kashmir
Educational Activities of India in Bioinformatics Short-Term Training • Nationwide trainings and workshops • Presently around 100 organised per year in different areas • More than 17000 trained so far Long-Term Training Advanced Diploma Courses in five Universities M. Sc. , M. Tech. , Ph. D. courses in Bioinformatics
1. Advanced Diploma Courses 1. MKU, Madurai 2. University of Pune 3. University of Calcutta 4. JNU, New Delhi 5. Pondichery University 2. Post-graduate Courses (M. Sc, M. Tech, Ph. D) 1. JNU, New Delhi 2. University of Pune 3. Bose Institute 4. Anna University 5. National Brain Research Centre
3. Traineeship/ Studentship 4. Short-term Training and Workshop Programmes
Developmental Activities • Database development • Software Development • R & D Activities in Bioinformatics
BIOGRID INDIA • ENOURMOUS GROWTH OF INFORMATION • Dissemination of Biotechnology information to researchers in the country • Human Resource Development • R&D activities in Bioinformatics • Database sharing • Course material sharing
BIOGRID INDIA Internet MK Univ. , Madurai South Campus, DU, Delhi IGIB, Delhi Service Providers VPN Network IMT, Chandigarh Deptt. Of Biotecdhnology, Delhi Univ. of Pune IIT, , Delhi CDFD, Hyderabad Router 22 nd September, 2005 IISc, Bangalore NBRC, Gurgaon 23 NII, Delhi JNU, Delhi
INSTITUTIONS IN BIOGRID INDIA 1. JNU Bioinformatics Center, JNU 2. University of Delhi South Campus. 3. Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai. 4. Indian Institute of Science 5. National Institute of Immunology. 6. Institute of Microbial Technology 7. Department of Biotechnology 8. University of Pune 9. Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology, Delhi University Campus, Mall Road near Jubilee Hall Delhi. 10. National Brain Research Centre 11. Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, Hyderabad. 12. Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi.
INTEGRATION OF BIOTECHNOLOGY DATABASES ON BTISNET Bio. Grid Nodes/ Server [High Speed Network] Agricultural Biotechnology Aquaculture & Marine Biotechnology Animal Biotechnology Medicinal or Aromatic Plants Biodiversity Databases Molecular Biology Medical Biotechnology Mirror Sites on Major Databases BTISNet Software package
Achievements Ø Emphasis on infrastructure creation and human resource development ØBiotechnology in India has greatly benefited from the capacity building in Bioinformatics ØDedicated virtual private network connecting the major centres – sharing of data as well as computing resources ØBiogrid India (VPN) ØCentres of Excellence in Bioinformatics
DBT INFRASTRUCTURE Local Area Network – LAN Website : http: //www. dbtindia. nic. in : http: //www. btisnet. nic. in List servers : btis. [email protected] nic. in noticeboard. [email protected] nic. in Library FTS NAS
Future plans • Extension of high speed and large bandwidth network connectivity to other BTISnet centers and DBT institutions. • Augmentation of infrastructure at the BTISnet centers to cope up with enhanced IT applications in Biotechnology. • Mirroring of more biological databases, useful to the researchers.
• Cataloging of BTISnet products to promote sharing of information resources over the network. • Support to R&D projects in Bioinformatics as well as projects aimed at creating bioinformatics resources on net. • Publication of Bioinformatics textbooks and monographs. • Setting up of a Digital/Electronic Library for effective delivery of information to the end users. • Establishing a video conferencing facility