- Количество слайдов: 29
Famous American writers &Literary works • The Adventure of Tom Sawyer(《汤姆. 索亚历险记》) • Sister Carrie • The Old Man and the Sea • The Call of the Wild • The Scarlet Letter《 红字》 • Police and the Hymn • Dreiser (德莱塞) • Hawthorne (霍桑) • Mark Twain • Ernest Hemingway ( 海明威) • Jack London • O. Henry
(1862 -1910) He was called Father of the American modern ______. short stories He is a prolific(多产的)short-story writer who wrote about the life of ordinary______ people in New York City. And his stories are usually presented with _____ tone, realistic _______detail, and humorous surprising a ____ ending.
His famous works: care” “Cabbages and Kings 《白菜与国王》、 "The Furnished Room " 《带家具出租的房间》 “ The Four Million ” 《四百万》 "The Gift of the Magi " 《麦琪的礼物》、
Reading A Sacrifice For Love
The outline of the story Characters: Della & Jim (a couple) Time: on the day before Christmas ______ Event: It is about buying each other Christmas gifts _______.
Read and Answer: 1. Where did the couple live? ? care 2. What were the two possessions in which they took great pride ? 3. What did they want to do the day before Christmas Day? 4. Why did Della weep ? 5. What idea came to her when she walked to the mirror? 6. What did she do after she got the money from the barber’s? 7. What did Della whisper to herself before Jim came back from work? 8. What expression did Jim have when he saw Della? 9. What present did Jim buy for Della? How could he afford it? 10. After they knew the gifts turned out to be useless, did they return the things ?
1. Where did the couple live? 2. What were the two possessions in which they took great pride ? a young couple , hard life, Jim’s gold watch, Della’s hair
3. What did they want to do the day before Christmas Day? buy each other a. . gift
4. Why did Della weep ? 5. What idea came to her when she walked to the mirror? $1. 87, not afford to , weep sell
6. What did she do after she got the money from the barber’s? sold…for $20 searched, bought
7. What did Della whisper to herself before Jim came back from work? 8. What expression did Jim have when he saw Della? Coney Island choir girl Not anger, nor surprise, nor horror…
9. What present did Jim buy for Della? How could he afford it? 10. After they knew the gifts turned out to be useless, did they return the things ? a set of combs, Pure tortoiseshell With jewels on the edges put them away and keep them a while
a young couple , hard life, love Sold …bought Buy, afford Cut off. . . Sold it for …bought Saw…feeling. . put away. . keep
Fill in the blanks : Jim and Della were a young poor _____. They loved care couple each other so much. In order to buy each other a Christmas gift special ____ ___, They had been saving money afford for a long time. But they still couldn't ___ the rare length and nice gift. So at _____, Della __ ___ hiscut off beautiful long hair and sold it ___20 for dollars. With 21 bought dollars, she _____ Jim a gold chain. And meanwhile, Jim sold his gold watch in order to buy a __ of _____ combs for his wife. When they saw each set tortoiseshell other’s gift, their feelings were more than words could tell. In the end they decided to ___ them ____put and away ____them a while. keep
1. ( E )Della’s long , beautiful hair fell about her shoulders like a cascade of brown waters. 2. ( C )There was no other like it in any of the stories, and she had turned all of them inside out. 3. ( B )There was an expression in them that she could not read. …It was not anger, nor surprise, nor a look showing that he didn’t approve, nor horror, nor any of the feelings that she had prepared for. A. Personification: (拟人）B. Analogy: (排比） C. Hyperbole: (夸张） D. Irony: (反语） E. Simile：(明喻）
1. ( D )“Jim, honey, ”she cried, “don’t look at me that way. I had my hair cut off and sold it because I couldn’t live through Christmas without giving you a present……. ” 2. ( B )Della tore at the string and paper. She gave a scream of joy, and then broke out in tears and cries. 3. ( C )If Jim doesn’t kill me, ”she said to herself, ”…. But what could I do—Oh!What could I do with a dollar and eighty-seven cents. A. Descriptions of circumstances(环境描写） B. Descriptions of actions（动作描写） C. Descriptions of Psychology (心理描写) D. Descriptions of speeches （语言描写）
Role-playing Adapt Part 2 (the climax高潮)into a short play! (Setting: It was seven o’clock. Della was waiting her husband anxiously) Della (whispered ) : “Please God，make him think I am still pretty. ” Jim: …
Discussion 1. What do you think of the gifts that they buy for each other? Do they make any sense? 2. Have you ever received a special gift from your friends or parents, etc. ? What’s its story? 3. Do you think the couple live a happy life ? Why? What can we learn from it?
Assignment: 1. Find out the important words phrases and sentences in the texts. 2. Write an unselfish story.
The more love you give, the more you will receive.