- Количество слайдов: 68
© 1987 Mike Eisenberg and Bob Berkowitz Information Literacy for the Information Age
Information Literacy for the Information Age http: //www. big 6. com/
© © 1987 Mike Eisenberg and Bob Berkowitz Information Literacy for the Information Age http: //www. big 6. com/
Define the task What information is needed?
Brainstorm: think of topics
How can I for a a
Start with the broad topic. Think of a smaller or subtopic. animals mammals
think of smaller topics Animals Mammals Cats
Animals Mammals Cats Domestic or House cats Wild Cats
Domestic or house cats Big or Wild cats
Animals Mammals Cats Domestic or House cats Tabby Siamese Persian Wild Cats Lions Tigers Leopards
You try it Animals Reptiles Fish
How can I
Broad Main topic
broad main topic added Desert
erts r des Majo U. S. in the
Related topic Related topic Broad main topic Related topic
related topics added Physical characteristics climate survival locations desert animals plants
Related topic Add subtopics Related topic Broad Main Topic Related topic subtopic Subtopic subtopic
Subtopics added Physical characteristics climate survival locations desert plants animals birds reptiles insects Joshua Tree cactus sagebrush
Physical characteristics climate survival locations desert plants animals birds reptiles insects Joshua Tree cactus sagebrush
What resources can I use? Select the best resources
• Online library of electronic resources available through Utah Educations Network • Collection of research sites and magazine articles that are indexed and appropriate for elementary students • Pioneer sources are accurate and free no need to worry
What can I find at Pioneer? Information resources including: • Encyclopedias – World Book and Funk and Wagnalls • World Almanac – SIRS • Newspapers – Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune archives – EBSCO’S and SIR’s newspapers
• Magazines w. EBSCO, SIRS, and World Book • Journals w. EBSCO and SIRS • Biographies w. Wilson Biographies, EBSCO and SIRS
• Government Documents w. SIRS • Maps, Charts, and Graphs w. World Book, EBSCO, and SIRS • Audio/Visual clips, and Bubble Views (360 degree virtual tours) w. World Book
K-12 SCHOOLS ONLINE LIBRARY Brought to Utah Public Schools by the Pioneer Library Consortium http: //pioneer. uen. org/ Culture. Grams Up-to-date reports on all 50 states and country reports on 177 cultures of the world. Includes Kids Edition, States Edition, and World Edition. EBSCO General reference and journals, magazines, newspapers, and encyclopedia resources. Student Home Access Utah Students can access Pioneer Library resources from home. When they go to http: //pioneer. uen. org from home, they must login with the following: Username: pioneer Password: home SIRS Discoverer Deluxe General reference for elementary and middle schools.
World Book Encyclopedia information with over 30, 000 articles and 8, 500 pictures and maps updated daily. Deseret News Archives Search articles from 1988. Also see today's Deseret News. Salt Lake Tribune Archives Important service change - Access archived Salt Lake Tribune articles through EBSCO. Think. Quest Utah is a state partner for this student-centered, International project.
Marco. Polo National curriculum for teachers. Arts, Economics, Geography, Humanities, Mathematics, Science. Utah Collections Multimedia Encyclopedia Explore video, audio, pictures, maps, text, charts, and graphs about Utah. Search the UCME resources. SURWEB - State of Utah Resources Site contains thousands of images from Utah as well as a media basket to build online presentations. Wilson Biographies Plus Over 110, 000 biographies with links to periodicals.
State of Utah Archives A repository for government's historical business records, the Utah State Archives serves both public and governmental entities in Utah. Search with Yeehaw, the Utah state government search engine. American Library Assn Internet Resources Public and State Libraries in Utah Library of Congress
Questions or need Pioneer Materials (bookmarks, brochures, posters)? • E-mail: resources @uen. org • Phone: 1(800) 866 -5852 • Fax: 1(801) 585 -6105
The World Book
Ebsco Searchasaurus Encyclopedia
EBSCO Searchasaurus— Animal Topics
1. Put the keyword search term into OPAC Library Card Catalog. 2. If necessary, try related terms until you get the Result list you want. 3. Select the item you want. 4. Using the call number, locate the book you want.
Engage: read, hear, view, touch, collaborate Extract relevant information
1. Pick an animal 2. Do a keyword search 3. Find the resources available 4. Fill in the information on it My animal is Places it can live 1. 2. 3. What does It eat? 1. 2. 3. Name 3 characteristics 1. 2. 3.
• C 1. Complete your biome topic assignment. 2. Form into small groups according to your chosen biome. 3. Fold your worksheet #2 with the 3 questions on it and place it in the Scavenger Hunt Box. • E 4. Each student will receive a new worksheet #2 to do. • L 5. Locate information in the library and answer the questions. • S 6. Share your answers in small groups. • T 7. The first group to complete and share the assignments wins.
1. Pick a biome 2. Find the resources available 3. Fill in the information on it 4. Write 3 questions to share Worksheet #1 Animal Life Name 3 Plant Life Name 3 What source Characteristics did you use Of this biome to locate the answers?
Write 3 questions about your chosen biome to share. Worksheet #2 My biome is _______ 3 questions to share answers 1. 2. 3.
Organize information from all the sources Present the information
v. After the Scanvenger Hunt Activity, form new groups, one for each biome, according to the information you completed. v. Complete a team project, compiling all the data collected from everyone who did the Scavenger Hunt activity for your biome. v. Do one; either a poster, newsletter, brochure or Powerpoint project. v. Follow the evaluation guidelines provided by the teacher. v. Present your project to the class.
Judge the product for effectiveness Judge the process for efficiency
Review Define the task Narrow or broaden the topic as needed Complete a keyword search on OPAC Select the items from the result list Locate the items Access the information
Extract relevant information Organize and present the information as a project Evaluate
Citations • • http: //www. big 6. com/kids/3 -6. htm images of big 6 steps Animal Pictures Archive http: //www. animalpicturesarchive. com/animal/APAsrch 3. cgi? qt=cats&start=10&dsp. Num=10 House cats by Trudie Waltman Animal Pictures Archive http: //animalpicturesarchive. com/animal/APAsrch 3. cgi? qt =Siberian+tiger&start=20&dsp. Num=10 Siberian Tiger 2 - by Les Thurbon. jpg