- Количество слайдов: 44
Writing a formal letter
Skills building 1: changing or correcting a text
a game called “Chinese whisper”
You will be divided into several groups of ten. The first student will whisper a sentence to the second student and then the second to the third until the sentence is passed to the last student in the groups. Only two minutes will be given to you. The last student in each group will report the information to the whole class. The groups coming up with the correct answer win. Try to find what mistakes each group has made and analyse what kind of mistakes they are.
Here is the sentence: Mrs Smith’s hens laid many eggs last year.
Listen to the conversation and underline the places where you think mistakes might occur. Answers: 1. 8 cm-- 18 cm 2. per week—every day 2. 3. not划去 4. 45 -year-old— 35 -year-old 5. three—two 6. 14— 18 7. 55— 60 8. 5%--85% 9. 185, 000— 85, 000
Step 1: confirming information
What does GM stand for?
What is GM food?
Is it the same as natural food?
Listening practice: Listen to the tape and do the exercises in Part A and Part B on P 53.
Answers: A: 2. fatter—faster 3. keep—don’t help keep 4. more expensive—cheaper 5. is ^a—not 6. better than—the same as 7. are ^given—not 8. cheaper—more expensive 9. are ^kept—not 10. would not pay—don’t mind paying B. 1. wrong 2. wrong 3. wrong 4. right
Skills building 2: conducting a discussion
What would you say if you want to know my opinions on this picture? If you have different opinions on the picture, what would you say?
Please think of different ways to ask for opinions and introduce new ideas.
Step 2: reporting back to a science journal List the things about GM food.
Group work: Tell what questions you may ask about each heading and add a sixth heading. Write down your questions and a possible heading in the form. Add more questions to the headings you suggest.
1. Safety of GM food Do you think it is safe for people to have GM food? 2. Possible side effects Are there any side effects if people have GM food?
3. Taste compared with normal food Does it taste the same as/nicer than natural food? 4. Cost Do you agree that GM food is more expensive than natural food?
5. Need for government control Do you think the government should do something to ensure its safety? If so, what should be done? 6. Popularity for buyers Will you or will you not but the GM food?
Skills building 3: writing a formal letter
a formal letter an address a date the receiver’s name job title and address a formal greeting a formal ending the signature
Useful expressions: I am writing to make… I urge you to seek…
Step 3: writing a letter about GM food
Sample: your address— 101 High. Street the date— 1 May, 2005 Mr Frank Brown— receiver’s name Public Relations Manager— job title Safeway Laboratories-- receiver’s address 305 Queens Drive Liverpool Dear Mr Brown, --formal greeting I am writing to complain…practice immediately. Yours sincerely, ---formal ending Jim Davidson— signature Jim Davidson—your name
1. cost n. [U] the amount of money needed to buy, do or make something: 对于许多父母来说, 两份薪水支付上学的费用 是很基本的. For many parents, two salaries are essential to cover the cost of (= pay for) school fees. plural noun the cost of something:
我们需要削减我们的广告费用. We need to cut our advertising costs. n. [S or U] something which is given, needed or lost in order to obtain a particular thing: 他挣了很多钱, 却以牺牲了自己的健康为代价. He earned a lot of money but at the cost of his health.
v. [T] cost, cost 这本书值多少钱? "How much does this book cost (= What is the price of this book)? " [+ two objects] 这次旅行将会花费你 1000美元. The trip will cost you $1000.
costly : adj. expensive: 昂贵的 a costly item 2. look forward to : [+ ing form of v. /n. ] 她盼望着再次看到她的孙子孙女们. She was looking forward to seeing the grandchildren again.
带to doing的常用结构 1. 动词+介词to+动名词 (1)admit to doing sth 承认做了某事 (2) apply to doing sth 适用于做某事 (3) object to doing sth 反对做某事 (4) see to doing sth 负责做某事 (5) stick to doing sth 坚持做某事 (6) take to doing sth 喜欢上做某事， 逐渐习惯做某事
2. 动词+宾语+介词to+动名词 (1)apply oneself to doing sth 专心致力于做某事 (2) devote sth / oneself to doing sth 把…献给 / 献身于做某事 (3) limit sth to doing sth 把…限制在做某事的范围内 (4) reduce sb to doing sth 使某人沦为做某事 (5) give one’s life to doing sth 献身于做某事 (6) pay attention to doing sth 注意做某事 (7) set one’s mind to doing sth 决心做某事 (8) addict oneself to doing 沉溺于做某事
3. be +形容词+介词to+动名词 be equal to doing sth 能胜任做某事 be used to doing sth 习惯于做某事 be opposed to doing sth be reduced to doing sth 反对做某事 使某人沦为做某事 be devoted to doing sth 献身、致力于做某事 be limited to doing sth 把…限制在做某事的范围内
3. majority : n. 1) [S] the larger number or part of something: 2)[C] in an election, the difference in the number of votes between the winning person or group and the one that comes second: 大部分雇员有大学文凭. The majority of the employees have university degrees.
社会主义者以大部获胜. The Socialists won by a narrow/large majority. 4. conclude : v. 1)[I or T] to end a speech, meeting or piece of writing: 2) [T] to judge or decide something after some [+ that] 3)[T] to complete an official agreement or task, or arrange a business deal
她通过使我们想起我们的责任结束了演讲. She concluded the speech by reminding us of our responsibility. 陪审团从证据得出结论这个被告是清白的. The jury concluded from the evidence that the defendant was innocent. conclusion : n. 相关短语：reach/come to /draw a conclusion 得出结论
5. urge : v. [I or T] [+ to infinitive] 律师们将会催促这些父母采取进一步的行动. Lawyers will urge the parents to take further legal action. [+ that] 调查人员催促这个地方的安全措施应该被改进. Investigators urged that safety procedures at the site should be improved.
NOTE: urge后的宾语从句中动词要用虚拟 语气，即（should）+动词原形。其它类 似的词有： suggest, advise, propose, ask, demand, require, request, insist, order等。 6. seek : v. [T] sought, sought FORMAL 1)to try to find or get something, especially something which is not a physical object: 2) to ask for advice, help, approval, permission, etc:
你在积极地寻找 作? 吗 Are you actively seeking jobs? 在你采取进一步的行动前你应该寻求法律 上的建议. Legal advice should be sought before you take any further action. v. [I + to infinitive] sought, sought FORMAL to try or attempt: 他们试图使公众放心. They sought to reassure the public.
7. practice : (1) n. [U] action rather than thought or ideas: (2) n. [C or U] something that is usually or regularly done, often as a habit, tradition or custom: (3) n. [C or U] when you do something regularly or repeatedly to improve your skill at doing it: 我不能明白你的计划在实践中怎样运行. I can't see how your plan is going to work in practice.
在美国给理发师消费是很普遍的. It's common practice in the States to tip the hairdresser. 在我参加驾驶测试前我需要更多的练习. I need to get some more practice before I take my driving test. practise : v. [I or T] [+ ing form of verb]
我每天练习说英语. I practise speaking English every day. 相关短语或表达： Practice makes perfect. 熟能生巧。 put sth. into practice 把…付诸于实践 practise doing sth. in practice 在实践中 out of practice疏于练习