- Количество слайдов: 24
„Agropuzzle 2” meeting in Portugal 06 - 12 April 2014 Presentation Day 1
Directions for creating of multimedia presentation by participants of Portugal’s mobility within Leonardo da Vinci „Agropuzzle 2” project.
The aim of presentation: • To show characteristic features of running a farm and agribusiness enterprises in Portugal on the basis of: 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa 3) Jewish museum Each group (country) prepare its presentation in their mother tongue or in English for every visited place taking into account: Characteristic features listed above Personal remarks and feelings not included in the chart Photos taken on the spot
1. Business specialization 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais Fruit producers association, established in 1992 with 8 members with a total of 106 hectare which include apple, peaches, pears and cherry plantations. The role of this association is collecting, storing, packing and selling fresh fruits. 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa Professional school of agriculture which has 120 students and 25 teachers that integrates 300 hectare of land different species of life stock
3) Jewish museum A comprehensive museum referring to the history and culture of Jewish community in Belmonte, that has a relic from 1297 from the first synagogue of Belmonte
2. Family oriented business activity 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais This is not a family business, they have a number of shareholders which are not necessarily fruit producers.
2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa On 15 October 1943 by public deed in Lisbon, Doctor Julio Campos Melo and Matos made "giving, pure and irrevocable, forever today, the Portuguese State of all chattels mentioned and property. . . with the following conditions: -The donated property will be installed at an establishment of practical teaching of agriculture; - The property shall be called-"School Fifth Lageosa" without replacement or join at any time, individual name; - The possession by the State will take place on January 1 following the death of the donor ". . . 3) Jewish museum This is not a family business.
3. Vocational education of company owners and their children connected to secondary agricultural school 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais In the staff they have 2 agriculture engineers that are in charge of the production and storage of fruits. 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa The teachers (22)are always trying to find ways to get the interest of the students, the most recent one being horse caring and training 3) Jewish museum
4. Acquiring of funds from European projects aimed at development and modernization of farms and enterprises (in close relation to agricultural education) 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais They did not to use any European funding and they don’t intend to. 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa They received funding from both EU and Portuguese government 3) Jewish museum
5. Cooperation with regional institutions 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais This association has good relations with National Institute of Agricultural Research for different researches on fruit growing 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa This school offer education and training for the students of Aldeia do Souto (Covilha) and for other students from other countries by partnership. General Board of the school include a representative of the municipality Covilha, representatives of local communities and the Ministry of Education. 3) Jewish museum They cooperate with town municipality to increase awareness and to promote regional tourism.
6. Showing significant production connections with foreigners 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais Although they do not export any of their products, they are testing and using different varieties of fruit trees from different countries especially from Spain. 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa Besides the exchange programs with different European countries, they also admit students from Portuguese speaking countries like Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea etc.
3) Jewish museum They Have good cooperation with all the Jewish communities, and it has been voted in the top 50 small museums in the world.
7. Development of side activities such as agrotourism and restaurants 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais They have no interest in developing any other activities besides fruit production.
2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa The money they make from selling the goods produced in the farm allows them to offer free housing and meals for their students. 3) Jewish museum -
8. The use of natural climatic and soil qualities in running the company within given area 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais The soil quality and climatic conditions make this region suitable for fruit trees plantation.
2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa The varieties of natural conditions that exist on the farm allows them to present different situations and technical solutions to their students in agricultural segments like: forests, pastures, orchards and horticulture. 3) Jewish museum The museum is not influenced by climatic and soil conditions.
9. The use of landscape qualities in running an agricultural company 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais Tree plantations integrate very well with the relief of the area which is represented mainly by hills.
2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa One of the biggest problems they face is the 150 hectares of forest that are intentionally set on fire by the local sheppard’s. 3) Jewish museum The museum is located in the old square of the old Belmonte town.
10. Reduction of unemployment in the local area due to creation of new workplaces (recently) 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais They have a total of 14 workers but they employ seasonal workers for harvesting. 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa Because the number of students remains constant there is no need for the creation of new workplaces, but they contribute to the reduction of unemployment by offering young students a better chance to find a job.
3) Jewish museum Because it is a small museum it has minimum number of personnel, but it’s contribution to the growth in tourism it helps local economy.
11. 1) Quinta Dos Lamacais Proecological activities Choice of disease and pest resistant varieties of trees species, protect trees against pest, diseases and weeds with as little as possible reliance on pesticides, use of natural water resources to irrigate trees.
11. • • • Proecological activities 2) Escola profissional agricola Quinta Da La Geosa - Conservation of biodiversity ( including agricultural ) - Unit Propagation - area consisting of a seminar ( hotbed ) and plantário especially for the propagation of native species, outdoors or under cover - " Butterfly" - space that contains several tree species shrub, with a particular focus on indigenous species, constituting an important tool for teaching botany - Recovery and maintenance of habitats - for small mines whose ponds that feed constitute the habitat for some species of amphibians , and small cores reduced abundance of herbaceous plants - Parque das Aves - Recovery proper sealing and improved some of the existing park infrastructure. - Zootechnical Park - Installation of a space that will house one copy of each national breed of cattle, sheep, goats and pig. - Partnership with Banco Portuguese Plant Germplasm - Genetic urn is of the greatest threats hanging over humanity , fruit of the aggressiveness of monopolies of companies in the industry and genetically modified organisms - Forest management - A large forest that contains the School 3) Jewish museum Conservation of biodiversity ( including agricultural )
Your opinion about visited place Advantages : - exploitation of natural resources and landscape by cultivating fruit trees and fruits trade and creating a strong network in the rural community; - the agriculture school is a opportunity for a completed education, directed to the integration of the human being and the professional qualification of young people living in rural areas in Coveira Interior Disadvantages: -Reduction of the student population at regional level. -Degradation of the built heritage.
Done Thank you