- Количество слайдов: 25
5. Phrasal Units Self-study Worksheet
1. Indicate the category of each word in the following sentences. a) That glass suddenly broke. b) A jogger ran towards the end of the lane. c) These dead trees might block the road.
a) Det N Adv V That glass suddenly broke.
b) Det N V P Det N A jogger ran towards the end of the lane.
c) Det A N Infl V Det N These dead trees might block the road
2. Each of the following phrases consists of a specifier and a head. Draw the appropriate tree structure for each example. a) so bad b) this house c) quite cheap d) never surrender e) those books
a) AP Deg A so bad
b) NP Det N this house
c) AP Deg A quite cheap
d) VP Qual V never surrender
e) NP Det N those books
3. The following phrases include a head, a complement, and (in some cases) a specifier. Draw the appropriate tree structure for each example. a) up the stairs b) read a book c) excited about the trip d) in love with Lucy e) perhaps earn the money f) that argument with Owen
a) PP NP P Det N up the stairs
b) VP NP V Det N read a book
c) AP PP NP A P Det N excited about the trip
d) PP NP P N in love P with N Lucy
e) VP NP Qual V Det N perhaps earn the money
f) NP PP NP Det that N argument P N with Owen
6. For each of the following words two potential complement options are given. For each word, determine which option is correct.
Verbs expire observe a. b. NP NP a. NP b. PPto PPabout discuss a. NP b. clean a. NP PPfor b. NP NP
Nouns hammer a. b. PPwith PPabout success a. PPof PPto b. PPof argument a. b. PPwith PPabout
Adjectives sick a. NP knowledgeable a. PPto small a. PPof b. PPabout b.
6. Identify the phrasal units in the following phrases. a message to the troops S H Comp. worked for the party energetically H Comp. Mod.
slept quietly by the window Mod. H stubborn about going abroad Comp. H negotiates the proposal directly with the government H Comp. Mod. Comp.