- Количество слайдов: 38
v. Unit 1 v. Advertising Reading
Lead-in 1. Do you like advertisements? Where can we find them? 2. Do you think advertisement play an important role in our lives? Why or why not? 3. How many types of advertisement do you know? What are they? Show some example?
Quick look v Take a quick look at the title and the subtitles (小标题). v What do you think might be discussed in the article?
Fast reading Please answer the three questions in Part A. 1) What do advertisements encourage people to do? To buy a product or service or believe in an idea. 2) What does PSAs stand for? Public service advertisements. 3) What are PSAs meant to do? To educate people about health, safety or any other issue which affects public welfare.
Reading strategy: reading expository writing Introduction of subject Para 1 structure Supporting details Para 2 -5 Conclusion Para 6 The same structure exists in each part.
Questions Supporting detail 1 What is an advertisement? Supporting detail 2 Does an advertisement tell people the complete Truth? Supporting detail 3 Public service advertisements
Careful reading Read the three supporting details carefully and answer the following questions: 1. Where advertisements most commonly 2. found? 3. 2. What is the difference between commercial advertisements and public service advertisements?
3. Why are some of the advertisements clever according to the article? 4. When did China begin a nationwide public service advertising campaign? 5. Why should we follow the advice in PSAs?
T or F 1. Most people are not aware of how many ads are around them. 2. Advertisements are always meant to promote a product or service. 3. PSAs are only found in newspapers and on TV. 4. PSAs and commercial ads use some of the same methods. 5. Commercial ads can often give us valuable information about how to live our lives. 6. An ad warning people against smoking is an example of a PSA.
Fill in the chart Types Similarities Differences of ads places method purposes Validity e. g. found s used Com merci ? ? ? al ads PSAs ? ? ?
Places found Newspapers Magazines The internet Radio Television Similarities Methods used clever _______ language attractive _______ picutres
Types Differences Purposes Comme To promote a product or service -rcial ads To educate people about health, safety or any PSAs Other problem affects public welfare validity They are not altogether innocent. They are helpful and we can learn a lot by following the advice they give.
examples Types “Bright-teeth fights bad breath!” Commerc- “You are proud of your cooking, ial ads so shouldn’t you buy the very freshest food? ” PSAs “Yes to life, no to drugs” “Knowledge changes life” “Project Hope – educating every child” “When you smoke cigarrettes,
Summary ersuasive Advertisements, which often use p_______ language and e______ images, play an important p _____ of xciting art our lives. There are two main t_____ of ypes advertisements. One is called c_____ ommercial advertisements, which are meant to p ______ a romote product or s ervice. But they don’t tell c ustomers the _______ complete truth. Another one is called PSAs, which ______ use a_______ and o______ images and c______ riginal ttractive reative language, are often placed for f____. They d____ ree eal with many social i_____, which often affect public ssues w______. elfare
Consolidation Choose the words below to finish the author’s e-mail to a professor who helped her with her research. dealing with comments campaigns promote benefit cheated even if fool
Dear Professor Liu Kai, I want to thank you for offering me such useful dealing with advice ______ my research. I have just published my article about advertisements on our school website, and have already received many kind _____ about it from my readers. comments The information I found has really helped me educate others in the ways in which companies promote ______ their products.
Before I consulted you, I had no comprehension that a company might try to fool ____ people into buying a product or even if service. Now, ____ there are exciting pictures and clever language in an ad, I will remember to think bofore I buy something so that I will not be ________. Icheated pay a lot more attention to the will also public service ad ______. campaigns
benefit Now I know how they can _____ society. I will encourage my friends to pay more attention to them as well. Thank you again for helping me find so much usful information! Yours, Qian Lili
I hope that after they read my article, my schoolmates will understand that PSAs are intended _____ to educate us about public welfare ________ issues, and that promote commercial ads are meant to _____ products or services. Before our talk, I did not think very much about how an advertiser might be trying to trick customers into buying a product or a service. _____ Now I think I will be much smarter about what things to buy.
Even if there are lots of exciting images and language, I will remember to think about the things I buy. I will also pay a lot more attention to the nationwide public service ad _________ campaigns , because now I know helpful they can be. I encourage will _____ my friends to pay attention to them as well. Thank you again for helping me find so much useful information! Yours faithfully, Qian Lili
1. We are so used to them …( line 1) be used to do / doing sth. ---get accustomed to used to ---happened in the past e. g. I am not quite used to living here/city life. I used to live in Nanjing. 注意被动语态的区别！ Ex: The new machine _____production. A However I_____it. A. is used to increase; am not used to controlling B. is used to increasing; don’t used to control C. used to increase; don’t used to control D. used to increasing; am not used to control
2. I did some research on…（line 2) …to share with you. (line 3) research: 1) N. do/conduct research on: 我正在做关于广告的研究。 I am conducting research on advertisements. 2) V. to study 商人研究市场很重要。 It’s important for a businessman to research the market. share with: use sth. together with share sth. with sb. e. g. I’d like to share my book with you. She _____ my troubles as well as my joys. B A. shares with B. shares (in)
3. encourage people…believe in an idea (line 6) encourage: give support or confidence to sb. Don’t encourage bad habits in a child. 老师鼓励她看英文电影。 The teacher encouraged her to watch English films. believe in: to have firm faith in Many people believe in God. You can do it well! Ex: believe/believe in I don’t ____ ghosts. I _______ that stories believe in believe of ghosts were made up by human beings.
4. …for free, and are intended to…(line 11) for free: free of charge/without payment You can take the ticket for free. 每个孩子都会得到一本免费的书。 Every child will get a book for free. intend to: design/mean to do sth. I intended to do it, but I’m afraid I forgot. C What he said at the meeting ____ make us to support his idea. A. intended to B. intends to C. was intended to D. is intended to
5. China has strong laws to protect people from… (line 14) protect…from…keep sb/sth safe from We should protect the earth from pollution. 人们通常戴太阳镜以妨眼睛被太阳灼伤。 People usually wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from being burned by the sunlight. More relative phrases: protect/prevent…(from)… stop/keep…from…
6. from advertisements that lie or …(line 14) lie: lied (pt, pp), lying (pres p) vt. 说谎 ~ to sb. about sth. She was lying! She lied to me about her age! lie: lay (pt) lain (pp) lying(pres p) vi. 平躺 He has lain in bed since this morning. lay: laid (pt, pp) laying (pres p) vt. 放置 He laid his hand on my shoulder. Ex: He ____ the book on the desk and told me laid that he had ____in bed for the whole morning. lain But I knew that he was ____ to me. lying
7…must be aware of the methods (line 16) be aware of: realizing sth. that exists Are you aware of the importance of learning a foreign language? 你知道是什么时候了么？ Are you aware of the time? be aware that: having knowledge of sth. /sb. She became aware that something was burning. 我很清楚吸烟有害健康。 I’m well aware that smoking is bad for our health.
8. …connect them to the food…(line 25) connect: bring together/join The two cities are connected by a railway. She is connected with a famous family. You should not connect the two different things to each other. 我这就给你接通王先生的电话。 I’ll connect you with Mr. Wang immediately. connection: N. in connection with 他们与这个案件有关联。 They are in connection with the case.
9. We must not fall for this kind… (line 26) fall for sth. : to be tricked You should be clever enough not to fall for his tricks. 他说他是学生我信以为真。 He said that he was a student and I fell for it. fall guy: person who is tricked How could you be easily cheated by his words? You are really a fall guy. fall for sb: be attracted to sb. They met, fell for each other and got married six weeks later. More phrases about fall
fall down: The plan fell down because it proved to be too expensive. fall into sth: You can not fall into the bad habit—smoking a lot. fall off: The production has fallen off since last month. fall to doing sth: They fell to thinking about what had happened to them.
10. …ads play tricks on …(line 28) play tricks on: play a joke on Children, as well as adults, usually play tricks on each other on Halloween. 老师要求我们不要再捉弄对方了。 The teacher asked us not to play tricks on each other any more. trick: V. trick sb. into doing sth. She tricked him into giving her all his money.
Homework 1. Retell the article about advertisement. 2. Look for more information about commercial advertisements and public service advertisements on the Internet.